Last-Second Goal Lifts No. 8 Women's Lacrosse past Penn State

With four seconds remaining in the game, Virginia senior attacker Casey Bocklett scored a goal to seal the 16-15 victory for the eighth-ranked Cavaliers over No. 9 Penn State Saturday afternoon, closing out their season-opening road trip. Virginia had previously lost to No. 3 Syracuse and No. 5 Northwestern by one goal apiece.

After a Nittany Lion (3-1) goal opened the scoring, the Cavaliers (2-2, 0-1 ACC) reeled off three straight and added another goal after Penn State’s second to take an early 4-2 lead. The Nittany Lions rallied to tie the game up and eventually took a two-goal lead, but Virginia was able to pull even.

The game would continue to go back and forth — neither team led by more than two goals. In total there were nine lead changes and nine ties, including a 10-10 draw at the end of the first half.

Penn State outshot the Cavaliers in the second half 19-11, but 10 of those shots were saved by freshman goalkeeper Rachel Vander Kolk. Virginia held a slight advantage in draw controls in both halves — winning two more than Penn State.

The Cavaliers also committed 11 more fouls than the Nittany Lions — Virginia had 17 second-half fouls to Penn State’s seven.

The Cavaliers turned the ball over seven times in the second half, while the Nittany Lions only turned the ball over once in that span after committing five turnovers in the first half.

Senior midfielder Courtney Swan had four goals on four shots, four assists, and nine of Virginia’s 17 draw controls. Penn State’s junior midfielder Madison Cyr had five goals to lead her team. Senior attacker Maggie McCormick also recorded five assists to pace the Nittany Lions.

The Cavaliers return to play on Tuesday when they open their home schedule against Harvard.

—compiled by Chanhong Luu