Men place 8th at ACC Championships

After suffering suspensions, transfers and injuries, the No. 25 Virginia men’s swimming and diving team suspected its usual standard of excellence would be tough to meet in 2015. However, that knowledge did little to ease the pain of its ACC Championship Meet performance.

The Cavaliers (1-5, 0-2 ACC) scored 618 points to place eighth — the lowest finish in program history. No. 7 North Carolina State placed first with 1,331 points to earn its first conference championship since 1992. No. 10 Louisville and No. 17 Virginia Tech rounded out the top three.

Virginia sat in fourth after the meet’s first day — which included the diving scores from a week ago — with help from its 200-yard medley relay team setting the fourth fastest time in program history to finish eighth in the event.

The Cavaliers stayed in fourth after Thursday’s results thanks to eighth place finishes by both the 200-yard freestyle relay team and sophomore Austin Quinn in the 500-yard freestyle.

But Virginia fell to seventh on Friday, while NC State took a lead it wouldn’t relinquish. The 400-yard medley relay team placed seventh in its event. Junior Yannick Kaeser — the only Cavalier swimmer who did not taper for the meet — took home seventh in the 100-yard breaststroke. He won the consolation final a day later in the 200-yard event.

Freshman Brendan Casey provided the highlight performance on Saturday with his fifth place finish in the 1,650-yard freestyle. Quinn placed sixth on the 200-yard backstroke.

Select Virginia swimmers will compete one final time this season at the NCAA Championship meet on March 26-28.

--Compiled by Robert Elder