Pride Week kicks off with increased visibility

Event aims to provide support to LGBTQ community through education and entertainment

<p>Queer Student Union kicked off Pride Week with Drag Bingo on Saturday night. </p>

Queer Student Union kicked off Pride Week with Drag Bingo on Saturday night. 

Queer Student Union kicked off Pride Week with Drag Bingo Saturday night. Held once every semester, Drag Bingo is the Contracted Independent Organization’s most lucrative and most popular fundraiser.

Hosted by a professional drag queen, the event provides a night of bingo and drag performances from University student drag kings and queens. QSU awarded over $700 in prizes to Bingo champions, as well as to the winner of an amateur drag performance contest.

Fourth-year College student and QSU President Sarah Leser said Drag Bingo is one of her favorite Pride Week events.

“It’s always a ton of fun, and I really like that it brings a lot of straight allies out for a night of entertainment,” Leser said. “It’s the biggest event we do that mixes the queer community with the broader U.Va community.”

Pride Week events will be held throughout this week. Various organizations such as the LGBTQ Center, Open Athletes and University Career Services partner to host both entertaining and educational activities for the community.

Scheduled programs include a screening of the film “Out in the Night,” a pickup kickball tournament and a barbecue. Educational programs will include a Safe Space Training Workshop, which offers guidance on how to be a better ally, and a presentation on sexual health in the LGBTQ community.

One of Pride Week’s most highly anticipated events is a visit from prominent LGBTQ advocate Janet Mock — an advocate for transgender rights and a New York Times bestselling author.

“I’m really looking forward to Janet Mock, because it’s this once in a lifetime experience to talk to someone of such caliber and such intelligence,” said third-year College Student Connor Roessler, QSU’s Vice President of Education. “[She is] someone that really has an interesting story to tell.”

Roessler said the purpose of Pride Week is to give a face to a minority group that lacks visibility at the University.

“I think a lot of times people can walk around Grounds and not feel like they’re being included [as a] part of the picture,” Roessler said. “Pride Week is definitely this one week out of the year where you can feel like there’s a lot going on for yourself as an LGBTQ person. Something like a Safe Space training or a queer film series just puts it into the world a bit to remember LGBTQ people are here, and that they matter and that their voice is important.”