Shorts and sweaters

Straddling the line between winter and spring

Whenever the weather warms in Charlottesville, a mysterious positive energy seems to radiate from Grounds and hum within the veins of University students.

Hibernation has come to an end and sunshine marks a new chapter in our vaguely repetitive student lives. Without any call to action, students delight in the endless possibilities of warmer temperatures. Lectures become chattier. Mid-class greetings become cheerier. And somehow everyone knows to start drinking just a few hours earlier, before the sun sets on a the beautiful cloudless backdrop behind the Rotunda.

Though it’s never been given an official name, in our hearts the first day of a Charlottesville spring is always blatantly obvious from the clothes — and grins — wear. Gone are the thick, meaty parkas that protected us against winter chill and here to stay is the famed “shorts and sweater” combo.

We all know the comfortable duality of shorts and sweaters. Returning from spring break, we strive to show off newly acquired tans but linger in the luxury of baggy knitted tops. Straddling the line between winter and spring, my attitude and behavior often reflect my outfit choice.

Firstly, I bless the style gods for making oversized sweaters not only okay, but also fashionable. I know I’m not the only soul who enjoys some extra carbs during the chilly months. Bring on the warmer weather — but please, no higher than 80 degrees. I’m not quite ready to say hello to skimpy bikinis but am feeling antsy enough to more regularly shave my legs.

Also, though the threat of another polar vortex looms, the Sun’s reemergence has released some much needed vitamin D into the air we breathe. Vigor! For some short time during dark January weeks, it’s as if we forget the springtime even exists. But once the Sun has made its first appearance as it did this week, there is no forgetting its omnipresence. My overall mood is similarly beginning to show signs of gradual improvement.

Plus, sunshine releases in us some Neolithic desire to congregate outside with one another. Fresh air seems to breathe new life into our bodies, causing us to run around in the grass and neglect responsibilities. Skipping class seems justified. Putting off that homework seems the right thing to do. Just as our ensembles walk the line between two seasons, students try to balance library time with fun in the sun.

We learned in grade school that living things need the Sun’s energy to survive. My more recent realization is that we also need sunshine to thrive. I’m willing to believe my own pseudoscience. So, I look forward to the warm days of spring and summer to come, when my friends and I can finally dawn our full summer garb and subsequently enjoy full freedom.

Allie’s column runs biweekly Thursdays. She can be reached at a.lank@cavalierdaily.com.