Tobias Jesso Jr.’s debut LP is impressive entry in singer-songwriter story

Despite less-than-stellar lyricism, “Goon” possesses wide appeal

Pop singer-songwriter Tobias Jesso Jr. is in a state of grieving. The gorgeous emotional reprieve that constitutes Jesso’s debut, “Goon,” targets pop album essentials such as broken hearts and failures to make it as an artist in Los Angeles. But Jesso still sounds minimalistic and huge without stumbling into boring or overly dramatic territories.

“Goon” is warm and inviting, calling on the listener to hurt when Jesso hurts. It is inevitable that the listener responds to Jesso’s beckoning — his voice is otherworldly, a soft and wavering, pungent-when-necessary declaration of heartbreak with every note.

Take “How Could You Babe,” a track of resentment towards a former lover. Jesso captures this emotion in overwhelming surge of pain when his voice breaks during the hook, screaming “How could you, baby?” Juxtaposing flatly-sung verses with unexpected power in the hook grants the record a natural tone — each word is laid out like the rise-and-fall of breathing, with more intense power increasing the longevity of every breath.

Additionally, the buzz surrounding the singer-songwriter domination of the indie music scene this year is substantial. What differentiates Jesso from the others such as Father John Misty is that “Goon” lacks great lyricism.

Frankly, the lyrics in “Goon” are atrocious — akin to boy bands’ simplistic, sickly-sweet poetry. Though, Jesso’s presence outshines the lackluster lyrics. In his delivery, clean production, mastery of tone and effortlessness, the minimalistic atmosphere stuns.

With “Hollywood,” a plea for success in the heartless city of Los Angeles, the lyricism is at an all-time low as the progression moves from “Think I’m gonna try in Hollywood” to “fry in Hollywood,” and concluding in a predictable “die in Hollywood.” Yet, words cannot undermine Jesso’s wondrous intensity in voice or instrumentation. Again, in “Can’t Stop Thinking About You,” a heart-wrenching piano ballad about loss, this sentiment also rings true.

What “Goon” lacks in depth and substance, Jesso makes up for with phenomenal production and voice. Largely in the year when singer-songwriters are making their mark so definitively, “Goon” is worth the listen.