Top 10 Green Things

A St. Patrick's Day special

1) Green M&M’s

I know what you’re thinking: don’t all M&M’s taste exactly the same? Well, think what you want, but I forced my friend and her boyfriend to participate in a self-conducted, extremely scientific blind taste test over spring break. Needless to say, they agreed the green ones were the best. If that’s not the happiest marriage of love and science you’ve ever seen, your favorite green thing is probably the Grinch. There’s a reason why the green M&M’s stick around for the holidays and the brown ones don’t.

2) Aloe

This one hits extremely close to home, as an accidental nap on the sunny beach of Miami has forced me into a painful, sunburned reality in which I can’t lay down on my bed without shedding a tear. My ego and my ability to shower have also taken hits — the water scalds my shoulders, and the only thing my mother has said to me since I returned is “I told you so.” The sweet green glow of aloe is responsible for my current happiness.

3) Leaves in the Springtime

Four-leaf clovers especially, as those elusive little things both bring luck and add an air of legitimacy to the timing and theme of this article. Plus, the little bit of green finally showing itself on Grounds is giving me hope that spring is coming and the snow will finally give way to some nicer weather. Note: though these may not be the obvious plant choice when one hears the word “green,” consider that it’s March, not April. We’ll celebrate that foliage-based high holy day when we get there.

4) Money

Speaking of things growing on trees (just kidding), money in its various forms is seldom something to complain about. Maybe you’ve worked really hard at your job recently, or hit the money shot in your intramural basketball game. Maybe your professor told you your answer to the midterm question you thought you bombed was “right on the money.” Maybe you found a penny heads-up on the ground or came up with a million-dollar idea. In any shape or form, money is something green to celebrate.

5) Solar Panels

The epitome of green: sustainability. Good for the environment, your wallet and future generations. Here’s an idea: install a solar panel on the roof of your apartment. Your friends will be green with envy over how much money you saved on your utilities bill. Plus you’ll have a little more green in the bank. You heard it here first: I’m starting a petition to change the ‘Early Meal Plan Sign-Up Rocks’ shirts to ‘Being Green Rocks.’ BGR has a much better ring to it than EMPSU anyway.

6) Green Beer

As wonderful as nature is, there is certainly beauty to be found in the unnatural. Exhibit A: Trinity’s St. Patrick’s Day beer. A word of wisdom: green beverages look a lot more festive going down than coming back up, so honor the Irish in another way by eating some carbs in between beers.

7) Limes

Though limes currently hold a special place in my heart as an inducer of tequila-related spring break debauchery, they are one of the more underrated members of the citrus family. Where would Sprite be without the latter half of its lemon-lime flavor? What would Hint of Lime Tostitos be hinting at? The lime’s color and its tang make it a bright, yet sassy addition to any dish. Honestly, I think one should always strive to be the lime of his or her friend group.

8) Shamrock Shake:

You worked so hard on your spring break body that it’s definitely time for a reward of the McDonald’s famous, green and ice cream variety. Knowing Charlottesville weather, we’re going to have a snow day in the middle of May, so your body will forever be hiding behind that huge sweater anyway. No one will notice the extra pounds when you realize you can’t stop drinking these milkshakes. Don’t tell Cook Out. Though it’s unclear what exactly makes these milkshakes green, I’ve had one to twelve every year since I can remember, and I’m not dead yet.

9) The Chicken Left in Your Refrigerator Over Spring Break

On the bright side, I can bet I wasn’t the only one who overlooked the whole throw-your-perishables-out-before-you-peace-out-for-a-week thing. Though the chicken I made probably would’ve tasted better with green pesto on it, the shade of green it’s currently rocking is quite dashing. Luckily, I’m not scared of a little mold, but I’m scared of my roommates finding out I was the source of the awful smell in our kitchen. Don’t tell.

10) Leprechauns

Thanks to the snow day and the work of the devil himself, many of us still have midterms after spring break. We’re all going to need the “luck of the Irish” to help us on this one. I’m personally feeling good about myself because I managed to bring my books with me on vacation. But that pride ends there, as I didn’t open any of them. But, with some well-timed prayers to St. Patrick and a green beer or two, we’ll all get through it. After all, it’s darty season.