Virginia to host VMI in home opener

Freshman Pavin Smith breaks lineup, leads team in batting average

The No. 1 Virginia baseball team hosts Virginia Military Institute Wednesday afternoon in the much-anticipated home opener.

Thus far, inclement weather has forced the program’s loyal fans to idle patiently without the Cavaliers. The season is less than three weeks old, but Virginia (10-0) has already postponed two weekday games and moved two weekend series to warmer climes.

However, changes in the schedule have not affected the Cavaliers, who are off to a hot start that appears bound to end in Omaha. Virginia is one of four undefeated Division I teams.

For the Cavaliers, success begins on the mound. Ten games into the schedule, Virginia’s crop of hurlers have posted a 1.27 earned run average and have limited opposing batters to a 0.207 average.

The starting rotation has been unmerciful and downright dirty. Juniors Nathan Kirby and Brandon Waddell and sophomores Connor Jones and Alec Bettinger are 7-0 with a microscopic 0.84 ERA.

Cavalier starters have surrendered only five earned runs through 53.1 innings, and three belong to Waddell. The Houston, Texas native has lacked his superb control — he already has six walks in 14 innings after walking 19 in 114 frames of work last season. Should Waddell regain his pinpoint accuracy, Virginia can make a legitimate claim to having the best starting rotation in the NCAA.

“[A veteran pitching staff] wins you games when it comes down to it” senior third baseman Kenny Towns said.

The Keydet (2-1) batters are the next in line to try their hand at solving the riddle of Cavalier pitching. Adverse weather has victimized VMI’s schedule as well. When the team arrives in Charlottesville, they will be 16 days removed from their last competitive game — a program record for days between regular season contests. The long delay will only make the Keydet’s job more challenging.

Of course, VMI is riding a one-game win streak against Virginia. Last season, then-senior Campbell Henkel and then-sophomore Taylor Edens combined to stifle the Cavalier lineup in the 3-2 victory. Virginia managed only two runs on six hits, and 18 of the final 21 batters failed to reach base.

The top third of the Cavalier batting order will be crucial in reversing last year’s upset. Batters one through three are doing their job of setting the table. Collectively, the front end of the lineup is 75-130 — a .577 average — with 27 runs scored.

“There are first years in that lineup, and I think they swing the bat like veterans,” coach Brian O’Connor said.

Freshmen Ernie Clement and Adam Haseley and sophomore Daniel Pinero occupied the top of the order for the first seven games and batted .667. An 0-8 showing by Pinero in the final game of the Maris series prompted O’Connor to slide freshman Pavin Smith into the third spot. Smith leads the team with a .500 average and has more pop in his bat than Pinero. The team did not skip a beat following the lineup alteration.

“Adam Haseley and Pavin Smith are two left-handed hitters from Florida who are very, very skilled” O’Connor said. “Their baseball IQ is very advanced.”

A 32-round selection by the Colorado Rockies in 2014, Smith is off to a scorching start at the plate. The lefty is leading the team in batting average, on-base percentage, and slugging percentage with a .500/.563/.810 slash line. Additionally, Smith has hit safely in all 10 contests. While it is early, he is providing the left-handed production so desperately needed following the departure of Mike Papi.

Following its game with VMI, Virginia slides into conference play with a three-game weekend series against Pittsburgh.

First pitch Wednesday is scheduled for 3 p.m.