​Women’s lacrosse trounces William & Mary, 16-6

The No. 5 Virginia women’s lacrosse team continued its three-game winning streak Wednesday night with a 16-6 win against in-state opponent William & Mary in Williamsburg.

Virginia (7-4, 1-2 ACC) took an early 2-0 lead, but William & Mary (4-5) stayed close until the Cavaliers closed out the half scoring three unanswered goals to take an 8-4 lead into the break.

Virginia extended its lead in the second half on a free position goal by junior attacker Kelly Boyd after the Cavaliers won the opening draw control. William & Mary countered with its first goal in more than 15 minutes of play, but the Tribe would suffer another scoring drought in the next 12 minutes as Virginia reeled off six straight goals to take its largest lead of the game at 15-5.

William & Mary sophomore midfielder Shannon Quinn broke the scoring drought for the Tribe with 15:24 remaining, but the Cavaliers answered with yet another goal to put the lead back at 10, allowing Virginia to put in its bench players with 12:36 to go.

In the last 12:36, the teams combined for 12 turnovers and 10 fouls, but neither team was able to find the back of the net, as the inexperienced Cavaliers only attempted one shot, while seven of the Tribe’s eight shots were saved by Virginia freshman goalie Rachel Vander Kolk.

The Cavaliers finished the game outshooting the Tribe 32-21 after outshooting them 19-7 in the first half. The Cavaliers also won the draw control battle, 17-7.

Reigning National Player of the week and senior attacker Casey Bocklet recorded a career-high eight points on five goals and three assists to lead the Cavaliers, while Quinn finished the game with three goals to lead the Tribe.

Virginia gets a two-day break before returning to action on the road Saturday against No. 2 Boston College.

—compiled by Chanhong Luu