Baseball loses series with Georgia Tech

No. 15 Virginia baseball dropped its weekend series against Georgia Tech and fell further from the top of the Atlantic Division standings with this disappointing effort.

Virginia (21-14, 7-11 ACC) took care of business in the opening game, winning 14-4. The 14 runs produced by the Cavalier bats mark the highest total in a conference matchup since they scored 14 against Duke on May 12, 2013.

In total, Virginia racked up 15 hits — all starters recorded at least one.

Junior Nathan Kirby was not sharp but picked up his fifth win of the season. The lefty threw 5.1 innings, allowed four runs, five hits and six walks, while striking out four.

The Yellow Jackets (24-12, 9-9 ACC) scored five runs in the first inning and never looked back as they blew out the Cavaliers 11-4 in game two.

After loading the bases with two outs in the bottom of the first, Georgia Tech’s next seven batters reached base safely. In total, 11 men went to the plate in the inning.

The Cavaliers missed plenty of chances on offense accruing 16 hits but leaving 15 runners stranded — a season high.

Sophomore Connor Jones took the loss after working five-plus innings. The Yellow Jackets scored eight runs on seven hits and three walks against Jones.

Virginia fell into an early hole, but could not complete the comeback as they dropped the rubber match of the series 4-3.

Twice the Cavaliers put the tying run aboard in the closing innings, and twice they failed to drive him in.

Freshman Pavin Smith tripled and scored on a sacrifice fly from junior Kevin Doherty to break the shutout in the seventh inning.

Virginia pulled within one in the eighth inning on a two-run homer by freshman Charlie Cody, who entered the game after sophomore catcher Matt Thaiss injured himself while running out a grounder in the sixth.

The Cavalier appeared poised to carry their momentum into the final frame. Doherty led off the inning with a walk and would reach second base, but he would be stranded there.

Junior Brandon Waddell struggled once again. He could not get out of the fifth inning and surrendered four runs on six hits and four walks. Junior closer Josh Sborz threw scoreless ball for the final 3.1 innings.

Virginia has two midweek games against Radford and William & Mary before entertaining No.11 Miami over the weekend.