Baseball survives late rally to defeat VCU, 5-3

The ninth-ranked Virginia baseball team dodged a late comeback bid to down Virginia Commonwealth University at the Diamond in Richmond. The Cavaliers rode a career night from freshman pitcher Derek Casey to their fifth straight win, 5-3.

Casey started and pitched a career-high seven innings. He allowed just one run on four hits and two walks while striking out four. The Mechanicsville, Virginia native got his second consecutive win and lowered his ERA to 3.79.

The Cavaliers (19-8, 6-6 ACC) recorded 11 hits against the Rams (15-12, 2-1 A-10). Freshman centerfielder Adam Haseley had three base knocks and sophomore infielder Daniel Pinero and senior infielder Kenny Towns added two hits and two RBIs apiece.

Virginia scored one in the third inning, three times in the fourth and tacked on a big insurance run with an eighth-inning single by Haseley.

VCU scored three in the bottom of the eighth to bring junior closer Josh Sborz into the game. Sborz quickly escaped the danger before surviving another jam in the ninth inning.

The Cavaliers face a quick turnaround as they host Virginia Military Institute Wednesday afternoon. First pitch is scheduled for 4 p.m.