“Finding Carter” finds middle ground in season two premiere

The MTV family drama strikes a neat balance between action, tension and catharsis

MTV’s breakout summer hit “Finding Carter” returns right where the season one finale left off — Carter Stevens (Kathryn Prescott) has been abducted yet again by Lori Stevens (Milena Govich), who is fervently determined to resurrect the life that she had constructed for them both following Carter’s reunion with the Wilson family.

The Wilsons are in shambles. Meanwhile Taylor (Anna Jacoby-Heron), Carter’s fraternal twin sister, and David Wilson (Alexis Denisof), Carter and Taylor’s father, are barely able to maintain a sense of calm. The ramifications of the kidnapping have palpably impacted their younger brother Grant (Zac Pullam) whose lack of faith in a positive outcome is emphasized numerous times.

MTV has heavily promoted the second season of “Finding Carter” to be the one where the truth leaves nothing but devastation in its wake, while allowing for the characters to come together. The season two premiere resolves one of the most long-standing questions about Carter’s abduction, provided through flashbacks that elucidated the circumstances of that afternoon through the eyes of both Carter and Taylor. It was interesting to see what each girl remembered and how it, in turn, influenced their perception of the kidnapping.

The reveal was not as shocking as it was made out to be if viewers had picked up on the hints, albeit subtle, that permeated the first season. Lori continuously asserts that there is more to the story and it appears that this season will focus on exploring that.

The second season premiere, in addition to drama, was filled with a decent amount of action to make for an overall compelling episode. While it answered, perhaps, one of the most nail-biting questions, it glossed over others that were just as important so that viewers still can’t make full sense of the ordeal.

This is often seen with teen dramas, but provided that “Finding Carter” does not drag the storylines out until the season finale — or worse, into the following season — fans of the show will be pleased and the storytelling will flow in an organic, satisfying manner.