Get off the Corner

On the importance of appreciating the whole Charlottesville community

Hi, my name is Alyssa, and I am a telemarketer employed by the University.

I figured I may as well put that out in the open now. I am the person who calls your parents, siblings, grandparents — and someday, yes, even you! — asking for a “generous gift to our wonderful University.”

So, why do I bring this up? Well, money is not the only thing I hope to gain when alumni answer the phone. Recent graduates have also provided some of my most treasured class recommendations, career guidance, tips, funny anecdotes and general advice about surviving the jungle of U.Va.

They can’t wait to pass their wisdom down to the naive second year on the other end of the line, and I try my best to provide an eager and attentive audience.

Recently, every time I ask these graduates what they miss most about being a student here, the message has been the same: take advantage of Charlottesville because the rest of the world is not nearly as scenic, cultured, diverse and full of beautiful, intelligent, and charismatic people.

Personally, I know I am guilty of what I like to call the “bubble effect,” by which students allow the Corner, Grounds and Barracks to become the entire world. Classes get busy, schedules become hectic and I tell myself there simply isn’t time for a daytrip to a local restaurant or the farmer’s market.

“How about next week?” becomes my mantra until next week turns into next month, and next month turns into next semester. Now, hearing the advice of people who made that same mistake, I know we have fewer weeks than we believe and no time to waste.

This felt like an important point to make, because what they say about Charlottesville is true. We have some of the best food in the country, yet I can’t remember the last time I had a meal anywhere off the Corner. Fridays at Five just began, as did the farmer’s market on Saturday mornings. Some of the most talented and unknown musicians come to Charlottesville and host cheap concerts that I don’t attend.

I haven’t hiked Old Rag. I haven’t been tubing on the James River or skiing at Wintergreen. I haven’t found out where the Rivanna trail starts or ends, or taken an aimless day trip to D.C.

The list goes on and on.

The problem is that something will always come to mind as an explanation for why now is not the perfect moment. This is because the perfect moment is a myth — a pleasant idea of a far off time.

After making these phone calls for hours every week, and hearing over and over again how I need to make the most of my two remaining years, the message is finally starting to sink in. Two years will fly by without a single “perfect day” for all the adventures I’ve been planning. The moment is now, not a week from tomorrow.

So, next time you’re a little bit tired and not sure if you want to go on that sunrise hike or attend that spontaneous concert, consider this: when I, or someone like me, calls you a few years from now to ask what you miss most from college, will this be on your list of biggest regrets?

Alyssa’s column runs biweekly Thursdays. She can be reached at a.passarelli@cavalierdaily.com.