Hoos in the Stairwell steps it up

“Our Time” combines fourth-year send-off with Broadway showcase

Virginia’s all-female musical theatre a cappella group Hoos in the Stairwell — also referred to as the Hoosits — will perform their spring concert, “Our Time” Tuesday, April 28. A homage to the graduating fourth years in the group, this performance will feature Broadway selections from shows such as “Chicago,” “Footloose,” “Evita” and many other popular hits.

“While adapting the orchestral style of musical theatre to a cappella arrangements may seem [like] a challenge, we have great success performing music all audiences will enjoy,” Hoosits’ Publicity co-Chair Elena Anderson said.

The Hoosits are a dedicated theater group made up of individuals in a growing “musical family.” Each member offers her own blend of experience and ability on and off-stage. Involved around Grounds in organizations such as academic and volunteering fraternities, musical groups such as percussion ensemble and the Virginia Womens’ Choir, Green Dot, the Residential Staff and various programs around the University Drama Department, they have diverse interests and talents that creates a unified, brilliant, and “egalitarian” ensemble.

Additionally, what makes the group so entertaining is its ability to adapt to the space in which it performs.

“We strive to hold true to what Meredith [the group’s former music director] envisioned [us] to be [able to do]: to perform in eclectic places,” said current music director and second-year College student Kelly Hart.