LUKE BRYAN’S “Spring Break…Checkin’ Out”

Luke Bryan’s latest 11-song release, comprised of five original songs and six from Bryan’s previous “Spring Break 6...Like We Ain’t Ever” EP, is the last in a line of seven annual EPs with the same theme.

Aside from the slight discomfort that comes with a 38-year-old married man singing about a week of young adults partying at the beach as if he still were one, Bryan’s music achieves its aim.

Nothing too deep or thought-provoking is present. The EP is entirely focused on creating a mood of nostalgia as if depicting a college senior’s last spring break trip — fitting, since it is the last EP in the series.

“Spring Break…Checkin’ Out” has its ups and downs. Unfortunately, the highs are never too high, and the lows can creep down to Britney Spears levels of superficiality.

The strongest track is “Good Lookin’ Girl,” combining soft verses with a quicker, upbeat chorus. This song presents a stark contrast to “Games,” the second of Bryan’s five originals, which may be the deepest song on the album. Bryan utilizes raw angst and emotion in a genuine way to spell out his fear of missing out in the “games” of love. The chorus here straddles the line between country and rock sounds.

The EP is already centered on a superficial topic, but this superficiality increases with the addition of a handful of strange lyrics. Some are borderline confusing and nonsensical for a singer of Bryan’s prowess.

A prominent example is “My Ol’ Bronco.” While the song itself, given its title, is another instance of nostalgia, it also features lyrics like “if it rains, you’re gonna get wet” — nixing the possibility of viewing the EP as a serious composition.

However, this EP was not supposed to be a timeless record, nor a symbol of Bryan’s legacy as a musician. It was meant as a celebration of living in the moment.

“Good Lookin’ Girl” and “She Get Me High” — another feel good anthem and perhaps the EP’s best song — may find their way into future playlists for embodying this enthusiastic, celebratory mood. Overall, this is an EP to be forgotten in contrast to Bryan’s other work.

Rating: 3 Stars