​Men’s golf takes third at Yale Spring Invitational

Kochevar posts personal bests

The Virginia men’s golf team shot 14-over 854 and placed third at the 14-team Yale Spring Invitational this weekend in New Haven, Connecticut. The No. 26 Cavaliers finished 29 strokes back of champion No. 22 Wake Forest — and a stroke behind second-place No. 36 Clemson — in their last tournament of the regular season.

Virginia fired a 1-over 281 in Friday’s opening round, sliding into third place behind the Demon Deacons and No. 40 Duke. Junior Kyle Kochevar and sophomore Derek Bard paced the Cavaliers at 1-under 69, while senior Ji Soo Park shot 1-over 71.

Despite slipping to 8-over 288 Saturday, Virginia remained locked in at third place. Four of the five Cavalier golfers regressed from Friday to Saturday, with only freshman Danny Walker improving on his opening-round score. Kochevar posted an even-par 70 to enter Sunday’s finale in third place individually.

Virginia moved in a positive direction Sunday, carding a 5-over 285 to edge Duke by a stroke while finishing just back of the Tigers, who limped to the finish with a 10-over 290. Walker fired a 1-under 69, while Kochevar and sophomore Jimmy Stanger shot 1-over 71.

Kochevar placed sixth at even-par 210 to lead Virginia. The Glen Ellyn, Illinois native’s individual finish and final tournament score were the best of his collegiate career, and his opening-round 1-under 69 also established a personal best. Walker finished ninth at 2-over 212, eight strokes behind individual champion Wake Forest junior Dennis Womble.

Senior All-American Denny McCarthy sat out the tournament because of illness. Virginia will travel to New London, North Carolina for the ACC Championships this Friday-Sunday.