Middle Eastern Leadership Council elects new executive board

Incoming president Taweel seeks stronger presence on Grounds

<p>"I think that group harmony is the best way to turn something very serious like MELC and representing ourselves to the University into something really enjoyable and beautiful," Jastaniah said.</p>

"I think that group harmony is the best way to turn something very serious like MELC and representing ourselves to the University into something really enjoyable and beautiful," Jastaniah said.

The Middle Eastern Leadership Council announced the new 2015-2016 executive board this weekend.

MELC acts as an umbrella organization, hosting multiple CIO student groups and organizations including the Arab Student Organization, Lebanese Club, Students for Peace and Justice in Palestine, Persian Cultural Society, Afghan Student Association and Muslim Student Association.

Incoming president Adrianna Taweel, a second-year College student, said she is looking forward to establishing a stronger MELC presence on grounds and providing sufficient funding for all organizations under the council.

“Because MELC is an umbrella organization, I want to be able to provide to the CIOs under us with whatever means necessary,” Taweel said. “To be able to aid in the best ways possible, a sustainable income is key.”

Taweel also said she envisions MELC building relationships with the University community at large.

“I feel very passionate about first-years and transfers finding their home in this University, and I would love to make MELC a loving, safe and diverse home for all students,” Taweel said.

Incoming secretary Behrad Azhandeh, a third-year College student, also said the new leadership is determined to provide a strong base for these groups.

“We will continue our drive to remain apolitical and remain as a pillar of support for our CIOs,” Azhandeh said.

Incoming vice president Abdulla Jastaniah, a second-year College student, also has a positive outlook on the new term.

“A lot of changes were made to the executive board this time around, which I'm anxious to see play out,” Jastaniah said, “I think that group harmony is the best way to turn something very serious like MELC and representing ourselves to the University into something really enjoyable and beautiful.”

One of the changes that the board is looking to continue from the fall include MELC Fridays, which invite students to enjoy snacks in Lawn Room 22 on Friday afternoons.

The new leadership has already begun organizing events, such as a Taste of the Middle East event at Newcomb Gallery, for their second annual Middle Eastern Cultural Month.

Other new members of the board include third-year Batten student Tara Shafiei as Treasurer, first-year College student Megan Talej as the Outreach and Publicity Chair, first-year College student Kaivon Kouhestani as Alumni Chair and first-year College student Attiya Latif as Ambassador.