The motto I live by

Impressions can last forever

When I think of words to live by, I think of quotes printed under senior pictures in high school yearbooks — proverbs, inspirational song lyrics and cliché expressions. All too often, these mottos go something like, “Be the change you wish to see in the world,” “YOLO” or “Carpe Diem.”

The motto I live by is a bit different — it’s a song lyric, but I wouldn’t deem it cliché. In fact, it has a profound story behind it.

It began July 10, 2013 — a torrid summer day, a month before I departed for college. On a last-minute whim, my friends and I decided to make an appearance at the Lee Brice concert at Pocahontas Live in Chesterfield. My good friend Colin Moore — a happy-go-lucky, positive individual with a vibrant personality and a contagious sense of humor — was the life of the party. We danced, swayed and goofed around as the music played. We made our way to the front row for one of Lee Brice’s biggest songs and belted out the lyrics to the chorus — “Be a best friend, tell the truth and overuse ‘I love you.’” I looked over at Colin, a country music fanatic, who was authentically smiling and loving life.

After the concert, I crafted a collage with these lyrics to put in my dorm room. It delivered such a simple, positive message and it reminded me of the happiest of times. Surrounding the words are various pictures of friends and loved ones, including Colin.

On Jan. 26, 2015, Virginia Tech student Colin Moore — the jubilant, lively spirit and my good friend — passed away. After hearing the news, the first thing I remembered was the Lee Brice concert. I thought back to the blissful summer day, watching Colin chant every lyric — so carefree and alive. Suddenly, the song lyrics on the canvas had a different meaning. I wanted to leave a positive imprint on the lives of others, as Colin did.

“Be a best friend” means stay committed and put effort into relationships — whether it’s your companion, sibling, parent or lover. It means keep in touch with and be there for those who matter, especially when times get rough. Put people first, help them and show them what they mean to you. Be a positive influence on the people you care for, make them feel special and encourage them to want to be a best friend right back.

“Tell the truth” means be honest and genuine with yourself and those around you. Be a person of value and create a trustworthy reputation. Most importantly, be honest with yourself — open up to others, tell them your story and let them know exactly who you are. Exude genuineness and others will trust you.

“Overuse ‘I love you’” means say it if you mean it, reiterate it and wear it out. By the end of the day, let each person you care for know. Communicate the phrase to anyone or anything that is important, without fear. If you love your friends, remind them. Even if you’re not verbalizing love, show it.

The quote I live by will be forever ingrained in my heart — along with my good friend Colin. A quick glance at my canvas allows me to travel back to where it started — dancing in the sunshine and belting out the lyrics with good friends. I thank Colin Moore for inspiring me to live fully and motivating me to leave a positive impact on those around me. Life is certainly short and sweet, but an impression can last forever.

Madison’s column runs biweekly Wednesdays. She can be reached at m.ruddy@cavalierdaily.com.