University receives Green Ribbon award for sustainability

Schools evaluated on reduced environmental impact, sustainability education

The University was one of nine postsecondary institutions in the country awarded the 2015 Department of Education Green Ribbon Schools Postsecondary Sustainability Award last week.

The University was nominated by the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia. Andrea Trimble, Director of the Office for Sustainability, said the award is based on the University’s progress in environmental and sustainability efforts.

“This award provides national recognition for the University’s progress in environmental stewardship, wellness and sustainability education, which is led, implemented and utilized by thousands of students, faculty and staff across Grounds,” Trimble said in an email.

Trimble said the award is given to schools that demonstrate achievement across three pillars.

As defined by the Department of Education, Pillar I focuses on reduced environmental impact, including reduction of greenhouse gas emission and water conservation. Pillar II consists of improved environmental and school health and Pillar III concentrates on environmental and sustainability education.

While K-12 schools and school districts have been receiving the award since 2012, Trimble said this is the first year that postsecondary schools are being included in the Green Ribbon Schools program. The University is the only postsecondary school in Virginia to have received this award.

Trimble said the efforts which led to the award were not only led by the Office of Sustainability, but were also led by organizations and people across the University.

“One of the great aspects of sustainability at U.Va. is its collaborative and interdisciplinary nature,” Trimble said. “Individuals, groups and departments all across U.Va. have been developing and implementing sustainability projects and programs.”

Trimble said the Office for Sustainability has been focusing on new initiatives regarding expansion of current programs and seeking to develop action plans for reducing emissions, energy, water consumption and waste, as well as launching new initiatives in labs, IT and procurement.

“There are lots of exciting ways for students to get involved,” Trimble said, “from broad sustainability initiatives to specific topic areas, via dozens of sustainability-related student CIOs, dozens of sustainability courses, University Committee on Sustainability subcommittees, working groups and task forces and programs such as Sustainability Advocates.”

Trimble also said the Office of Sustainability is currently collaborating with the University Committee on Sustainability to create the University's first sustainability plan and is seeking input from as many people as possible.