“Younger” presents new twists

New TV series lacks plot despite on-screen talent

TVLand comedy-drama “Younger” aired March 31 in a two-episode premiere that lacked any momentum necessary to captivate an audience. However, stars Sutton Foster and Hillary Duff were the show’s redeeming quality, making good use of their given roles and putting on a revitalizing show.

“Younger” has the potential to be a hit with viewers of all ages with its inventive story­line based on Pamela Redmond Satran’s novel of the same title. The premise of the show is interesting, though the plot takes a while to develop.

Liza, played by Sutton Foster, is a forty­something divorcee looking to refresh her career. In order to compete with the driven, fresh­-faced millennials, Liza decides to turn back the clock using trendy outfits and bold highlights in her hair. Posing as a twenty­-six year-old at a publishing company, Liza becomes fast friends with youthful co­worker Kelsey (Hilary Duff).

Both Foster and Duff are seasoned actresses who carry their roles with confidence and creativity. The chemistry between their two characters is entertaining as Liza attempts to keep up with her younger friend. For instance, Liza quickly becomes a fan of using hashtags in casual conversation, and Kelsey encourages the habit.

Because “Younger” is fraught with quips that emphasize the generation gap between Liza and Kelsey, the plot is occasionally muddled. Some scenes, such as one where Liza practices with flashcards to update her pop culture references, are excessive and diminish the overall momentum of the story­line.

However, the second episode of the premiere is far more compelling than the first — regardless of this overuse of generational quips, “Younger” is a promising new series bolstered by the talents of Foster and Duff, and the audience can only hope to see even more improvement in each episode as the series progresses.

Rating: 3 stars