A summer of C’Ville concerts, part one

Local venues find diversity, creativity in summer schedules

Charlottesville’s nightlife and live music scene rock on during the summer months after many students have left Grounds. Artists perform nearly every night at one of the city’s many venues, big or small, and locals and students alike flood the concert halls and bars to take part in the experience. The first half of the summer’s schedule appears promising, featuring a variety of soulful rock, quizzical indie and grounded pop acts for the public.

Bombadil returns to Charlottesville Saturday, May 16 with a performance at The Southern Café and Music Hall. Having wowed the city’s indie-folk fans in the past, the band will bring lyrical oddities and quaint instrumentals to the stage to promote their latest studio album, “Hold On.” Despite the trio being short one member following the recent departure of keyboardist Stuart Robinson, the band’s live performances haven’t lost their entertaining personality or honest undertones. For a similar experience, fans should see equally genuine alternative rock group The Decemberists as they play the nTelos Pavilion Monday, June 1.

Old Crow Medicine Show, famous for being the songwriters behind “Wagon Wheel,” will perform at the nTelos Pavilion Saturday, May 23. The group will bring a taste of traditional string music to wider audiences at this performance. Their feel-good live shows lack the fast-paced fiddling and mind-blowingly complex string melodies other bands have created on Charlottesville stages, but create pleasant, head-bobbing tunes with dainty vocals and sweet, narrative lyrics. The show’s after party features the more worldly-minded musical troupe, Chamomile and Whiskey, who keep the festivities going with Irish jigs and upbeat folk tunes played on a variety of instruments, from a fiddle and banjo to an old-fashioned washboard. For a look at how versatile old-time string instruments have become in the days of digitized music and Auto-Tuning, check out famed violinist Lindsey Stirling at the nTelos Pavilion Saturday, June 20.

Jessica Hernandez & the Deltas, a female-fronted rock-fusion outfit, will fill The Southern Thursday, June 11 much to the anticipation of Charlottesville music lovers. Combined jazzy keyboard notes, dramatic pounding drums and subtle horns gives a dangerous edge to Hernandez’s sultry voice. Twangy country influences solidify the band’s success in Charlottesville, leaving no doubt that any listener can find some enjoyable aspect to their tunes. A similar band, Sister Sparrow & the Dirty Birds, appearing Thursday, June 4 at The Southern, plays on harsher vocals, playful horns and a generally more vibrant presence onstage. For parallel drama and grunge, check out Rising Appalachia, a simplistic, earthy female folk duo, at The Jefferson Friday, June 19.

D.C.-based 80s cover band The Legwarmers regularly appear at The Jefferson, and Charlottesville’s concert-goers show up in full force each performance. The band’s attraction lies in their ridiculous onstage energy and flamboyance — no expense is spared in creating costumes, makeup and stage sets for the band’s ever-traveling act. Fan costumes, singing along and spontaneous dancing on the crowd floor are strongly encouraged. For a light, fun time that students, and probably their parents, can enjoy, The Legwarmers are a staple of the Charlottesville summer experience. Catch them next at The Jefferson Friday, June 12.

South Carolina native KaiL Baxley will appear at The Garage Wednesday, June 17 fresh off the release of his new album “A Light That Never Dies,” due out June 2. Baxley’s soulful voice creates a poignant atmosphere in his edgy rock tunes with a hint of New Orleans spook. Tracks like “Boy Got it Bad” and “HeatStroke” incorporate haunting, cult-like chanting that makes Baxley’s live performances chilling experiences. Fans should also check out The Alabama Shakes’ extensive repertoire of jazzy soul and funk jams when they take the Downtown Mall’s nTelos Pavilion Tuesday, June 9.

With the rapid approach of these highly-anticipated concerts and many more, good music, food and fun await. Stay tuned for The Cavalier Daily’s preview of the second half of Charlottesville’s vibrant local concert scene.