Baseball defeats Georgia Tech 11-0 in seven to reach pool play

Led by junior Josh Sborz’s complete game one-hitter, No. 25 Virginia trounced Georgia Tech 11-0 in seven innings in Tuesday’s ACC tournament opener.

Before sophomore Ryan Peurifoy came off the bench to hit a leadoff double off the wall in left, Sborz carried a perfect game with him into the final frame. The McLean, Virginia native then walked the bases loaded, but escaped the jam to yield no runs. The complete game shutout was the first in Sborz’s career.

The Cavaliers (34-19, 15-15 ACC) provided Sborz plenty of support by scoring early and often. Sophomore Matt Thaiss singled home sophomore Daniel Pinero in the first to begin the offensive barrage. From there, the Cavalier offense scored four times in the third and three times in both the fourth and fifth innings.

Pinero would finish the afternoon with two hits, including his sixth home run of the season, and drove in a career-high four runs. Freshman Adam Haseley collected two hits and scored four times.

Virginia won their first ACC tournament game by way of the 10-run mercy rule since its seven-inning 13-1 victory over Wake Forest on May 25, 2011.

By virtue of winning their elimination game, the Cavaliers advance to pool play. Virginia’s pool includes No. 2 seed Miami, No. 3 seed Notre Dame and No. 6 seed NC State. Pool action begins Wednesday with a 3 p.m. game against the Hurricanes (42-13, 22-8 ACC).