Johns Hopkins ends Virginia’s season in dominating fashion

The Virginia men’s lacrosse team usually gets off to slow starts. Such poor performances out of the gate have already cost the Cavaliers two wins this season – against Syracuse and Notre Dame. Sunday, in an NCAA first-round matchup against Johns Hopkins, another lackadaisical first half doomed Virginia.

The unseeded Blue Jays (10-6, 4-1 Big Ten) used an 11-0 run stretching between the first and second quarters to take a 7-1 first-quarter lead and a 13-2 halftime advantage. The seventh-seeded Cavaliers (10-5, 0-4 ACC), who fell behind by as many as 14, ultimately lost 19-7.

After junior attackman Greg Coholan evened the game at one 5:38 into the game, sophomore midfielder John Crawley began the 11-0 run with a goal at the 8:51 mark of the first quarter. Virginia finally ended the run with a strike from sophomore attackman Ryan Lukacovic with just 1:27 to play in the first half.

The Cavaliers added two goals to Johns Hopkins’ four in the third quarter. Midfielders Tyler German and Ryan Tucker and attackman Owen Van Arsdale — all three of whom are senior captains — netted Virginia’s three goals in the fourth quarter.

Blue Jay junior attackman Ryan Brown led all scorers with four goals and six points, while junior midfielder Connor Reed dished out six assists. Senior attackman Wells Stanwick added two goals and two assists as his brother, freshman attackman Shack Stanwick, notched three goals and two assists.

Virginia’s All-ACC goalie, sophomore Matt Barrett, gave up 16 goals and did not record a save in 37:23 of action. He was replaced by freshman goalie Will Railey.

Johns Hopkins won the shot battle, 41-39, and held a 17-12 advantage in faceoffs. Virginia committed 11 turnovers to the Blue Jays’ 17.

Sunday marked the second consecutive season the Cavaliers suffered an NCAA first-round loss to Johns Hopkins at Klöckner Stadium.