University Police Department increases Alderman security during finals

Lieutenant Fielding says theft increase expected, advises students remain watchful

<p>University Police Lieutenant Melissa Fielding said an increase in thefts from libraries during finals is not unusual, especially due to the increased traffic in libraries.</p>

University Police Lieutenant Melissa Fielding said an increase in thefts from libraries during finals is not unusual, especially due to the increased traffic in libraries.

The University Police Department increased security at the libraries during finals week this past semester following the theft of two laptops from Alderman Library.

University Police Investigative Lieutenant Melissa Fielding said an increase in thefts from libraries during finals is not unusual, especially due to the increased traffic in libraries.

“They increase basically every semester during [finals] time,” Fielding said. “It’s generally due to the fact that students, they’re there for long periods of time, and then they’ll leave their laptop or cell phone unattended for long periods of time, and then discover that they’ve been stolen.”

In addition to officers posted in Alderman and Clemons during finals, the UPD also posted signs telling students to be cognizant of their surroundings. Fielding said they tried to remind students that the libraries are a public space.

“I think students get lulled into this false sense of security of the Honor system here at U.Va and don’t realize that those buildings are public buildings — they are open,” Fielding said.

University Spokesperson Anthony de Bruyn said the University Library system is also working independently of the UPD to increase security during finals and has been doing so for four years.

“Additional security for exam periods was added four years ago, and has been done ever since,” de Bruyn said in an email. “Alderman, Brown and Clemons have the additional security since they are the most heavily used facilities.”

De Bruyn also said the University library system would be working with an external firm for increased security during finals as well.

“The University Library decided to increase security during exams and are contracting with an external firm for the service,” de Bruyn said.

Like the UPD, the library staff posted signs reminding students not to leave valuable items unattended.

Fielding emphasized the importance of notifying the UPD when students see any suspicious activities, especially in the library during finals.

“I think some people don’t want to feel like they’re getting people in trouble, but we can come and take a look and informally talk to folks in the area if there’s a concern about a suspicious person or suspicious activity,” Fielding said. “Don’t be hesitant to notify authorities of suspicious people or behaviors.”