Virginia adds Maryland transfer RB Albert Reid

<p>Maryland transfer Albert Reid will bring a veteran presence and straight-on running style to the Cavaliers RB corps. </p>

Maryland transfer Albert Reid will bring a veteran presence and straight-on running style to the Cavaliers RB corps.

At April’s spring football game, three Virginia running backs — junior Taquan Mizzell, sophomore Daniel Hamm and redshirt freshman Jordan Ellis — split first-team reps. Come the Sept. 5 opener against UCLA at the Rose Bowl, yet another name will be competing for carries.

Wednesday afternoon, the program officially announced that former Maryland running back Albert Reid will enroll at Virginia. Reid, who will graduate in July, will enter with immediate eligibility.

The Washington, D.C. native, a former 4-star prospect and the 25th-best running back in the class of 2012 according to Scout.com, played three seasons for the Terrapins. In 28 career games, he racked up 447 rushing yards while adding 129 receiving yards.

After appearances in four games — including one start — Reid’s 2014 season was cut short due to injury. He was granted a medical hardship waiver and will have two years of eligibility in Charlottesville.

Reid’s veteran presence could help supply leadership that was lost with the graduation of Virginia running backs Kevin Parks and Khalek Shepherd.

“Albert’s addition to our running back corps will make that group better,” coach Mike London said. “He is a player with substantial college experience who is a downhill, direct runner, and he’s very physical. Albert has been a member of Maryland’s leadership council, which shows he is well respected by his teammates.”

Reid, who also played special teams at Maryland, will join a crowded backfield, which lists Mizzell and Hamm as co-starters. Ellis, currently third in the pecking order, also flashed potential with his downfield style in April’s intrasquad scrimmage.

Reid is Virginia’s third incoming transfer this season. The Cavaliers also added former North Carolina wide receiver T.J. Thorpe in January and former Stanford tight end Charlie Hopkins in April.