A$AP Rocky’s new era opens with growth

Latest notch in rapper’s anthology finds him mentorless and mentoring

<p></p>

Lord Pretty Flacko, better known as A$AP Rocky, has been quiet the last few years, but he certainly has not been inactive. You may have seen him dabbling in fashion design, modeling for Ferragamo, or acting in his debut at Sundance in the film “Dope,” but you haven’t heard much from him as a music artist since 2013.

Some were more disappointed than others with this hiatus. That’s not because A$AP Rocky lacks talent, but rather because his niche is a very specific subset of rap. He is not known for producing anything profound or particularly thought-provoking, but rather providing the necessary yang of carefree lyrics and sexy beats to pop culture’s yin.

At first, that was largely the expectation of this year’s LP, “AT.LONG.LAST.A$AP” (ALLA). However, the fatal overdose of A$AP Yams — Rocky’s mentor and best friend — changed how the album was hyped. Rocky always cited Yams as the reason for his success, and aside from a few social media posts, he was generally quiet after the passing of such a significant influence on his life.

Although the album is rumored to have been mostly — if not completely — finished before Yams’ death, it was the last Rocky and Yams production. The meaning of “ALLA” had completely changed.

A drastically different side of A$AP Rocky emerged. Or perhaps better phrased, Rocky’s music finally reflected a strong identity. Past songs like “F**kin Problems” and “Goldie” did not reveal much about the artist’s self-image, earning him a reputation of prioritizing beats over substance. Not to say this album didn’t also highlight the healing properties of other substances, but unlike his first studio album, that was not the content of all 18 tracks.

Take “Holy Ghost” for example. As the title would suggest, this song uncovers the surprisingly spiritual and introspective side of a rapper best known for sex and drugs. Rocky reflects on his own distorted perception of religion while entreating for the salvation of his self-proclaimed corrupt soul.

The depth continues. “Max B,” featuring a smooth beat which samples the mournful violin from Leonard Cohen’s “Who By Fire,” tackles the controversial topic of police corruption and brutality. “Passed away from a stray from some fake tough guy / Now this the kind of story that should make doves cry,” Rocky raps.

Aside from a lyrical shift, A$AP also took a few risks with his sound. “Everyday,” for example, is a legendary Miguel/Rod Stewart mashup that will undoubtedly top the charts. The chorus is destined to be the caption of thousands of Instagram posts in the next few months: “Every day I spend my time drinkin’ wine, feelin’ fine…” The track features constant tempo changes which could be described as impatient or lacking in “flow maintenance.” Rocky is known above all for his smooth beats, but not every song on an album should have a sleek flow. That would be boring, predictable and repetitive. “Everyday” is distinct from what Rocky fans are used to, but it offers something unique while maintaining fidelity to the Renaissance man’s image. Risks like these will not go unrewarded.

Other risks, however, should. “L$D,” for one, was true to A$AP’s general lack of lyrical substance but had a disoriented mix of bass and guitar, which completely took away from the listening experience. It’s also interesting to note that this track had no actual rapping on the album version. It is certainly a bold and commendable experiment, but if A$AP wants to keep up the “drugs as healing” theme, it’s better to stick to his old winning formula.

Fortunately he did not altogether abandon this formula. “Electric Body,” featuring former partner in crime Schoolboy Q, is a beautifully familiar combination of a sexy beat and racy lyrics that will take thousands of plays before becoming boring. It’s a perfect example of the classic A$AP charm.

Other noteworthy presences on the album include Lil Wayne, who surprisingly did not ruin “M’$” as he often does with other features, and Kanye West. M.I.A. and Future were also guests on the same track, which showcased Rocky’s creative ear for talent. It’s not a duo many would initially envision, but “Fine Whine” proves it was a brilliant artistic decision.

Joe Fox, an up-and-coming protégé of Rocky’s, is also featured on nearly half of the tracks. While A$AP has faced scrutiny for this decision, it feels somewhat charming and oddly appropriate. With Yams gone, it’s time for Rocky to become a mentor. While it’s doubtful Fox will have the same success story, it’s nice to see “ALLA” tackle the concepts of death and rebirth in a very concrete way.

With just one listen, the lyrical and technical improvements to A$AP Rocky’s artistry are apparent on “ALLA.” The flawlessly sequenced LP shows an unbelievable maturity, which effortlessly balances Flacko’s previous identity and a clearly developed new one. Although there is a strong influence of sex and drugs, the themes aren’t used as used to fight for relevance as before. Therein lies the true beauty of the album. A$AP stays loyal to his name while showing serious growth. “ALLA” is an unforgettable last collaboration between Rocky and his mentor — it is loyal to himself and to his old fans and will certainly earn him some new ones.