Baseball America picks O’Connor as National Coach of the Year

<p>Coach Brian O'Connor and the Cavaliers enjoyed a fairytale ending in Omaha, defeating Vanderbilt for the first national championship in program history. </p>

Coach Brian O'Connor and the Cavaliers enjoyed a fairytale ending in Omaha, defeating Vanderbilt for the first national championship in program history.

Virginia baseball coach Brian O’Connor was named the 2015 National Coach of the Year by Baseball America. Three other organizations — Collegiate Baseball, D1Baseball and Perfect Game — also honored O’Connor as their National Coach of the Year.

Following a tumultuous regular season which saw the Cavaliers compile a 33-19 (15-15 ACC) record and a 1-4 showing in the ACC Tournament, Virginia tore through the NCAA Tournament en route to the program’s first national title.

The Cavaliers swept the Lake Elsinore Regional and defeated Maryland in two games in the Charlottesville Super Regional to reach the College World Series for the second consecutive season.

Once in Omaha, Virginia defeated Arkansas in the opening game before taking two out of three from No. 4 national seed Florida to set up a CWS Finals rematch with Vanderbilt.

After losing the first game against the Commodores, the Cavaliers rallied to take the next two games and claim the championship series.

Virginia finished the season with a 44-24 record for the program’s 10th 40-win season in the past 12 years.