“Me and Earl and the Dying Girl” has few faults, few stars

Latest “girl with cancer” flick keeps it real without romance

<p></p>

Rather than glorifying the bittersweet intricacies of teenage terminal illness, “Me and Earl and

the Dying Girl” offers a raw, often humorous look into a friendship infected by cancer. At the heart of “Me and Earl and the Dying Girl” is not a sickly girl who faces the threat of death with hope and determination. At the heart of the story is a self­-conscious high schooler, Greg (played by Thomas Mann), whose mom forces him to befriend an increasingly morose girl with leukemia.

The premise does not sound romantic because it is not.

“Me and Earl and the Dying Girl” is essentially a low-­key coming-­of-­age story. The movie lacks

theatrics because director Alfonso Gomez­-Rajon recognizes that the storyline speaks for itself.

The film’s understated characteristics tie in with Greg’s desire to remain under the radar. Despite Greg’s eccentricities and low self-­esteem, his best friend Earl (RJ Cyler) and the “Dying Girl,” Rachel (Olivia Cooke), recognize and cultivate his potential to do great things. Witty dialogue and beautifully captured scenes of Greg’s Pittsburgh neighborhood complement this film that candidly examines the complexities of teenage emotions. While Greg shies away from his feelings and Rachel is coping with her impending doom, Earl keeps it straight and tells it like it is. Earl contributes unadulterated common sense and humor to the trio’s interesting dynamic. The three ultimately bond over viewings of Greg and Earl’s low-­budget, punny remakes of classic films (e.g. “A Sockwork Orange” and “Eyes Wide Butt”).

In addition to poignant displays of emotional tension orchestrated by Gomez-­Rajon, the actors

themselves superbly embody the spirit of their characters. For instance, Nick Offerman of “Parks and Recreation” fame was born to play Greg’s dad, a mellow sociology professor with a keen appetite for colorful kaftans and foreign delicacies.

Peppered with funny, borderline bizarre scenes, “Me and Earl and the Dying Girl” maintains a

healthy balance between the realities of dying and the joys of living. A particularly entertaining

incident involves Greg and Earl after they consume special cookies from aspiring rapper and

fellow high­schooler “Ill Phil” (Masam Holden).

The only major downside of this film relates to Greg and Rachel’s relationship. Because

Gomez-­Rajon focuses on friendship rather than romance, the audience is left wondering about

what could be between Greg and Rachel. But these unanswered questions give the audience a

strong dose of reality. Gomez-­Rajon keeps it real and reminds viewers that life is not like the

movies.Sidestepping euphemisms and teen flick cliches, “Me and Earl and the Dying Girl” presents an endearing story about three friends tackling the realities of life (and death).