Mid-week motivation

Reasons to keep your head up when faced with the Wednesday blues

Every week it comes around again — a time when we’re cranky, half asleep and exhausted from the first half of the week, yet still torturously far from a weekend respite.

We call this lull in our weeks “Wednesday,” and it becomes an excuse for bad moods, extra cookies at lunch and earlier-than-usual bed times. This “hump” of the week marks the halfway point, the height of struggle, the hardest trudge up the hill before the end of the week blossoms on the horizon.

There’s no cute name for Wednesday — no “thirsty Wednesday” or “turnt Wednesday” or “pint night Wednesday.” There’s no TGIW, Super Bowl Wednesday or Wednesday Night Live. There’s not even a Wednesday brunch.

However, it’s a shame that many of us aim to simply survive Wednesdays, that Wednesdays become 24 hours of our lives we wish away each week. Why do we only try to endure? Why do we wish to be finished with days we will never get back? In spite of Wednesday’s shortcomings, I’m convinced there must be something to appreciate about this mid-week lull. With this in mind, I set my task for this column: to define the good qualities of Wednesday and give University students a boost over the dreaded hump.

1. According to Express News, a recent survey found that bosses are more responsive to requests on Wednesdays. So when the next Wednesday rolls around, instead of feeling down, go ask for the corner office or a hefty 10 percent raise. Hey, you never know…

2. For some Christians, the Wednesday before Easter is known as “Spy Wednesday” in reference to Judas’ betrayal of Jesus in the Easter Bible story. Though this doesn’t apply to every Wednesday, it can add an interesting new holiday to your yearly calendar. Next Spy Wednesday, dress up in all black, buy a pair of old-fashioned walkie talkies and speak in code for the entire day. I promise you won’t be bored and tired on this hump day.

3. In Japanese, Wednesday translates to “Water day” and represents the planet Mercury, which is known as the “water star.” I think this makes it appropriate to plan a Wednesday tubing excursion on the James River or finally take that trip to the Quarry. Not only is this a refreshing change of scenery, but you can also pride yourself on learning about Japanese culture. Double win.

4. According to Ayurveda, an ancient Hindu system of medicine that centers on holistic health, Wednesday is an ideal time to wear green and plant trees. Perfect excuse to break out your favorite green attire and, if you were born with a green thumb, spend some time in the garden. If, like me, you were not blessed with a green thumb, try eating at a restaurant that serves locally grown food or taking a stroll through one of the Lawn’s many gardens. I think you’d be surprised how a little fresh air can make a big difference.

5. Lots of companies know how hard Wednesdays can be, and you can take advantage of their sympathy. For instance, Outback’s “No Worry Wednesdays” and Dave n’ Buster’s half-off games occur on this day of the week. Plus, Whole Foods’ sales from the previous week and sales for the next week overlap on Wednesday — prime time to splurge on that dinner you’ve been dreaming of!

These are only a few Wednesday quirks you can take advantage of. We all know about trivia night, and Wednesdays are the perfect time to catch up with a friend or have a quiet movie night. Whatever you do next Wednesday, I hope you think about these tips when you’re trudging down the hallway, drinking your fifth cup of coffee and wondering how it’s only 10 a.m. (Or, is that just me?)

Even if you don’t try one of these suggestions, try something to put a little joy back into your day. After all, Wednesdays are one-seventh of our lives, and they aren’t disappearing anytime soon. It’s a shame not to add a little bit of fun to the day we despise as “the hump.”

Alyssa’s column runs biweekly. She can be reached at a.passarelli@cavalierdaily.com.