A capella group brings quadcopter drone to U.Va. Rotunda Sing

Device records live aerial footage

A small drone flew over the Lawn as a capella group Academical Village People performed Wednesday night at Rotunda Sing. 

A member of AVP said the group sent up the drone during their performance. The craft, a quadcopter, is owned by the father of one of AVP’s members.

“Rotunda Sing is one of AVP's favorite U.Va. traditions, and we wanted to commemorate it in a special way,” he said.

The group also wanted to film their performance to make a video promoting their auditions, the member.

The Academical Village People are one of the University’s 17 a cappella groups.

AVP asked the University’s Institute for Advanced Technology in the Humanities about sending up the quadcopter and ultimately received permission from the Office of the Architect for the University prior to Rotunda Sing.

Hoos in the Stairwell member Rachel Schelling enjoyed the added spectacle.

“I assumed the drone was an AVP stunt,” the second-year College student said. “I highly respect their style.”

Virginia Gentlemen President Micah Iverson, a fourth-year College student, said his a cappella group found the trick “hilarious.”

The drone footage can now be seen in the promotional video on AVP’s YouTube channel.