City appoints U.Va. alumnus Andrew Baxter as new fire chief

Term to begin Sept. 14

Andrew Baxter will serve as the next fire chief of the City of Charlottesville starting Tuesday. Baxter is the current assistant chief of professional services for the Henrico County Division of Fire in the greater Richmond area. He is an alumnus of the University with a bachelor’s degree in nursing.

"Andrew's depth of experience in the field of fire service and his familiarity with the Charlottesville community have prepared him to lead one of the best fire departments in the nation," City Manager Maurice Jones said.

Baxter expressed his excitement receiving the position, especially in returning to the Charlottesville area with his family.

“I am excited about developing strong relationships throughout the community,” Baxter said.

Baxter credits his achievement with the work he has done in the past and maintained that it will directly impact his leadership style as fire chief. Additionally, he emphasized sound relationships will be especially important to him in his new capacity.

“I will say that I am confident that the experience I bring with me will allow me to effectively serve and lead the members of the department and the community,” Baxter said. “Successful leadership at any level is always rooted in strong relationships.”

Baxter will begin as fire chief for the City of Charlottesville on Sept. 14.