Defense aims to repeat 2014 success

Cavaliers must break-in new players, replace 27 of 34 sacks

Former Virginia coach Al Groh took a page from his decade-plus of NFL experience when he gave his 3-4 Cavalier defense the “Orange Crush” moniker — a throwback reference to the dominating Denver Bronco defense of the late 1970s.

And despite a forgettable ending to his nine-year stint in Charlottesville, his unit’s nickname was well earned for the most part. He coached two first team All-Americans — linebacker Ahmad Brooks and defensive end Chris Long — in addition to hoards of All-ACC honorees, including defensive end Chris Canty and linebacker Darryl Blackstock, among many others.

But even as “Orange Crush” shirts still filled Scott Stadium years after his 2009 departure, it was not until last season that coach Mike London truly developed his own rendition of a disruptive squad.

One of his many challenges this season is rebuilding that fearsome unit.

Virginia lost three of its stalwart players to graduation — safety Anthony Harris and linebackers Henry Coley and Dequan Romero — and its two bookend speed rushers — defensive end Eli Harold and linebacker Max Valles — to the NFL draft. Those five, in addition to starting every game in 2014, accounted for 27 of the team’s 34 sacks and 49.5 of its 78 tackles for loss.

“We lost five very good football players off of last year’s defense,” defensive coordinator John Tenuta said. “They really were the catalyst of what we did and how we did things.”

Now with a front seven filled with an unproven mix of newcomers and veterans, Tenuta and London will work their blitz-happy, defensive minds to scheme pressure based on matchups. And the best place to start might be along the defensive line.

The interior of the group remains intact, with senior defensive tackle and team captain David Dean returning along with junior Donte Wilkins. The starting duo in Virginia’s base 4-3 lineup combined for 10 tackles for loss in 2014, including a sack by Dean.

The X factor will be sophomore defensive tackle Andrew Brown, a former five-star recruit out of Oscar Smith High School. Slowed by a mutiny of shoulder and toe injuries a year ago, Brown only played 63 snaps and recorded just four tackles. But after a stellar spring that included taking up boxing, the 2013 Gatorade National Player of the Year has impressed in training camp.

“I noticed the results [from boxing] that first spring workout,” Brown said. “I got back and I wasn’t tired at all. I was up front on a lot of sprints and I was like, ‘Okay, things definitely are going to change.’”

At defensive end, the Cavaliers will replace the explosiveness of Harold and Valles with the power of seniors Mike and Kwontie Moore — no relation — both of whom can also slide inside and play defensive tackle in nickel packages. Meanwhile, senior defensive end Trent Corney, still better known for pool-leaping than football prowess, has shown signs of a breakout season.

“We have a lot of guys that can bring a lot of different stuff,” Mike Moore said.

Despite the departure of Harris, the secondary should again be a strength. Cornerback Maurice Canady, who picked three passes last year to earn second-team All-ACC honors, returns for his senior season, while senior Demetrious Nicholson and junior Tim Harris will round out an experienced trio at corner.

Sophomore safety Quin Blanding, a preseason third-team All-American selection by Athlon Sports after an illustrious freshman season that included three interceptions, a program freshman record of 123 tackles and second-team All-ACC honors, will again man the free safety spot. Junior safety Kelvin Rainey’s impressive spring has earned him the strong safety position vacated by Anthony Harris, a former first-team All-American.

“It helps that Quin has taken the role of being Anthony now — being the guy that’s lining everybody up,” London said. “With Kelvin being an older guy that hasn’t played in scrimmage downs — he’s played a lot in terms of special teams — the two of them back there together, they’ve looked good thus far.”

However, the group with the most intrigue remains the linebackers. The new starting unit of freshman C.J. Stalker on the strongside, sophomore Micah Kiser in the middle and junior Zach Bradshaw on the weakside has a combined one start between them.

Still, Kiser and Bradshaw feel prepared after two years of learning technique and different play and stunt calls behind Coley and Romero. Kiser has impressed on special teams and is a good pass coverage linebacker, while Bradshaw, at 6-foot-3 and 235 pounds, excels against the run.

“I don’t see us as a weak link,” Bradshaw said. “We’re the linebackers — we’re the leaders of the defense.”

A return to the “Orange Crush” days could go a long way towards propelling Virginia through its daunting schedule that includes an opener against UCLA in the Rose Bowl. And even without the backbone of last year’s defense that snagged 29 takeaways and allowed just 353.2 yards per game, the always matter-of-fact Tenuta believes his group can replicate the success of Virginia defenses of old.

“I’m impressed with all the guys that came back,” Tenuta said. “I like what I have defensively.”