Safety module emails end up in spam folders of many students

Modules currently have Sept 18 deadline

<p>“Having a solid understanding of these subjects will greatly affect the overall safety and well-being of our community,” Dean Groves said in the email sent to the student body.</p>

“Having a solid understanding of these subjects will greatly affect the overall safety and well-being of our community,” Dean Groves said in the email sent to the student body.

An email sent to the student body Sunday detailing new safety modules on sexual violence and alcohol abuse went directly to the spam inboxes of many University students.

University Chief Information Officer Virginia Evans said she discovered the mishap Tuesday afternoon from her staff. Upon further investigation, Evans and her staff found Google responsible for the fluke.

“Apparently everything went as it should have on our end, it was something on Google’s side,” Evans said. “We’re working with Google to try to figure out what stopped [the email].”

The University’s IT staff said it cannot explain why the email went to students' spam folders. The IT office has requested a report from Google explaining the error.

If there was a filter, “we would see what [Google’s] logic was in filtering [the email] and imply the same logic in re-sending it,” Evans said.

Students must complete the modules by Sept. 18. Those who do not will face suspended NetBadge services, such as Collab.

Extending the deadline “might be part of the discussion,” depending on when the IT office hears back from Google, Evans said.

The email outlines Not On Our Grounds, a sexual violence education module and a new Alcohol-Wise module for all new and returning undergraduates.

“Having a solid understanding of these subjects will greatly affect the overall safety and well-being of our community,” Groves said in the email sent to the student body.