Podcast on Hannah Graham case released in 5 installments this week

Program will lead up to season premiere of true crime show "48 Hours"

<p></p>

The popular CBS program “48 Hours” released on Wednesday the third of five podcasts recounting the disappearance and murder of late University student Hannah Graham in September 2014.

Graham’s disappearance in the early hours of Sept. 13 and the discovery of her body on a rural road in Albemarle County a month later shocked the University community and garnered national media attention.

Following Graham’s disappearance, Jesse Matthew became the prime suspect and was eventually arrested and charged with capital murder and abduction with intent to defile in Graham’s case. If convicted, Matthew could face the death penalty.

The podcast, the first of its kind created by the CBS program, serves as a lead up to “48 Hours” season premiere titled “Hannah Graham: Deadly Connections,” a two-hour show airing Sept. 26.

The podcast is produced in conjunction with WTOP, a Washington-based news radio network, and is being led by news correspondent and tech editor Neal Augenstein. Augenstein — who has reported on Graham’s disappearance and Jesse Matthew’s subsequent flight, arrest and conviction in September 2014 — vowed he would bring his 20 years of journalistic experience to the table when producing the podcast.

“I know that 48 hours takes very seriously their responsibility of telling true crime stories,” Augenstein said.

Augenstein also said the program gave him free reign over the production of the podcast and dismissed any ethical concerns.

“People online want to hear as many details as reporters can share,” Augenstein said. “I think telling the story about what we know to this point, in great detail, that’s a valid storytelling and journalistic project.”

Gil Harrington said she had confidence in the program’s ability to appropriately handle Graham’s story.

Harrington’s daughter Morgan, a Virginia Tech student, disappeared in 2009 after attending a concert in Charlottesville. Matthew was recently charged in Harrington’s case with first degree murder and abduction with intent to defile, charges which each carry maximum sentences of life imprisonment.

Harrington said she has not heard the podcast but that the trailer is “well done”. She said the reach of “48 Hours” could help avoid further abductions and sexual assault like those of her daughter and Graham.

“Young people want information faster,” Harrington said. “The national reach and exposure that a show like ‘48 Hours’ has carries a wide breadth of awareness with it when it covers abduction, rape and murder of young women.”

Student Council President Abraham Axler, a third-year College student, said the production of both the podcast and the program are transforming a tragedy into a profitable sensation.

“It makes a gross sensation out of human tragedy; it does nothing to support friends, family, or University community,” Axler said. “It is making television out of one of the most tragic things that has ever happened to the University of Virginia.”

Axler said his experience with the media last year leaves no doubt the story has received ample coverage. Axler said the program from CBS and WTOP is “unethical.”

“I think [the release of the program] will upset people,” Axler said. “I had about 35 television interviews last year about Hannah Graham, so I cannot imagine that [the case] did not receive adequate media attention. I think it is unethical to profit on others’ tragedy”.

New episodes of the podcast will be released on a daily basis until Friday, Sept. 18.