Bombadil reflects after show at The Southern

North Carolina band talks new styles, rising fame post-show

Indie band Bombadil returned to The Southern this past weekend to promote their recently-released album “Hold On,” a solidly quirky effort which incorporates electronic elements into the group’s modern folk tunes. After a tumultuous few months, James Phillips and Daniel Michalak are back on the road (minus one member of the former trio) with new sounds and new enthusiasm. Arts & Entertainment spoke with Phillips about this new release and how the band is faring on tour this fall.

Arts & Entertainment: You guys recently released "Hold On” — is that your sixth album? Personally, the electronic bits you integrated into your usual modest, acoustic style in this album took me by pleasant surprise. What sparked the incorporation of synth bits and this re-imagining of your typical music?

James Phillips: All of us have been interested in electronic production techniques for some time, and this batch of tunes just seemed to lend themselves to incorporating those sounds. I release electronic music under the name Sumner James, and we all write with the help of recording software on laptops, so those palettes are easy to access. I also own several synthesizers and drum machines that are inspiring to try out on different songs. Ironically Daniel and I are planning to make the next record much more of an acoustic, folk record. Essentially, trying different things is rewarding and opens up new avenues of creativity.

A&E: This fall tour is in support of the release of "Hold On," correct?

JP: It is in support of "Hold On," which came out in March! It is also in support of our love of travel, seeing friends, making new ones, eating good food and playing music.

A&E: You also announced this year that Stuart would be leaving the band. I'm sure you've heard this question a lot recently, but can you tell us why he decided to leave? Who replaced Stuart onstage, and how are you faring so far on this tour without him?

JP: Stuart left the band to pursue other interests. He is working on computer programming projects and enjoying life in Durham. We have been playing with two gentlemen since Stuart left, Nick Vandenberg and Stacy Harden, sometimes as a three piece and sometimes as four piece. They both are super talented multi-instrumentalists, and it’s been fun to have guitar back in the band.

A&E: On a similar note, your instrumentation onstage is generally so simple with such a small group. With two new members, is the onstage dynamic and atmosphere any different now?

JP: As I mentioned before, we've been using guitar this year. We stopped using the ukulele. I added a small synthesizer to my drum set so I can play bass parts and the drums at the same time, and sometimes take little solos as well. I've been singing a lot more as well, which has been a fun challenge. We've been going for a fuller, slightly more rock-oriented sound, which has been a nice change of pace for Daniel and I.

A&E: You've been to The Southern several times in the past, as well as the Tea Bazaar — is there anything you're hoping will be different this time? A larger following in the area perhaps?

JP: The Southern is a great venue! We have a supportive group of fans in the area, so the shows are always a good time. We walk the mall before the show and always go to Mudhouse. Shows are always made better by excellent coffee shops. The Southern is really great, but it would be lovely to play at The Jefferson again, which we did awhile back opening for the Carolina Chocolate Drops. It is a beautiful space.

A&E: One track off of “Hold On,” "Amy's Friend," was featured in Amy Schumer's new film, "Trainwreck." That's a pretty big deal. Has anything changed in terms of your fanbase since the movie came out? Did you get to meet Amy Schumer?

JP: We were honored to be in the movie. We're still seeing exactly what sort of impact it’s going to have, but it was great to hear our song in a big movie theater. It has led to us scoring a movie this fall (more on that soon), which is an exciting project and new creative endeavor for us. We have yet to meet Amy, but you never know when something like that might happen! We will be in both New York and Los Angeles this fall.

Judging by this North Carolina duo’s much-repeated love for Charlottesville, they should be back here after their star-studded voyage in no time at all.