Cville Pride Festival doesn't disappoint

Fourth annual festival brings together community

“Amy-Sarah Marshall, will you marry me?” Lisa Green said, down on one knee, as the crowd erupted with cheers and applause.

Charlottesville’s fourth annual Pride Festival started in the most fitting way possible this weekend, as Green, one of the festival’s organizers, concluded her opening remarks by proposing to girlfriend and fellow festival coordinator Marshall. Marshall enthusiastically accepted.

Green, volunteer on the City of Charlottesville Planning Commission, started the Pride Festival with Marshall and others four years ago. The festival started small but has blossomed since its inception into a robust community event.

“The first festival, there were five of us, and we had no idea what we were doing,” Green recalled.

This year, Lee Park was crammed with over seventy booths of food vendors, local craftsmen and non-profit organizations. There were thirteen local music acts set to perform, not to mention three rounds of drag performers. Green said she expected over 4000 guests.

Beyond the number of guests and the diverse crowd, at the heart of the festival was the stage. The first performance of the day was from drag queen Bianca B. Starr — the current titleholder of Ms. Gay Virginia and Ms. Gay Harrisonburg — who sang and danced along to “My Life” by Donna Summer. She was followed by Miss Hotlanta, who performed to Karmin’s “Acapella.”

The master of ceremonies for the event was Jason Elliott, a former drag performer who currently holds the title of Mr. Pride of America and travels the country entertaining and advocating for the gay community. Elliot has attended the Charlottesville Pride Festival every year since it began.

City council candidate Wes Bellamy, who attended the festival, spoke about the importance of gay rights.

“I don’t see how you cannot support the rights and needs and just the basic liberties of the gay community,” he said. “Gay rights are really important — we have to make sure we support this segment of the community.”

Bellamy wasn’t the only politician in attendance. Charlottesville Mayor Satyendra Huja made an appearance as well, wearing a bright pink shirt and matching turban and talking to festival-goers and vendors.

Green said she felt the Charlottesville community had been very receptive to the festival.

Correction: A previous version incorrectly identified Lisa Green as a City of Charlottesville planner.