Defensive report card: Cavaliers grade out poorly

Kiser, Dean provide bright spots for Virginia; unit has yet to record takeaway

<p>Senior defensive end Mike Moore has five tackles for loss and two sacks in 2015. </p>

Senior defensive end Mike Moore has five tackles for loss and two sacks in 2015. 

The 2014 rendition of the Cavalier defense was one of the best in the ACC in almost every category. The unit racked up 34 sacks, 78 tackles for loss and 29 takeaways. When the offense struggled, the defense was normally there to pick up the slack.

But fast forward to 2015, and the Virginia defense cannot be trusted to stop the run against FCS opponent William & Mary, much less carry the team.

As the Cavaliers enter the bye week sitting at a 1-3, defensive coordinator Jon Tenuta’s bunch grades out poorly.

Defensive Line

The days of defensive ends Eli Harold and Max Valles beating tackles around the edge are over. Both declared early for the NFL Draft, with Harold going in the third round to San Francisco and Valles in the sixth round to Oakland. The duo combined for 16 sacks and 27 tackles for loss a year ago.

Their replacements at defensive end — seniors Mike Moore, Kwontie Moore and Trent Corney — have been disappointments.

Corney has flashed his strength and athleticism, but in four starts, the Canadian has just a single tackle for loss. Kwontie Moore, a former four-star linebacker, finally found his home at defensive end, but he lacks the speed of an edge rusher. Tenuta has experimented with Mike Moore at end and linebacker, although his better fit seems to be on the interior of the defensive line.

At tackle, senior David Dean remains a reliable space eater, while also having logged 2.5 sacks — already 1.5 more than a year ago. However, for all of their offseason hype, junior Donte Wilkins and sophomore Andrew Brown have barely seen the field.

The group has failed to stop the run and cannot generate a pass rush on its own. Even considering the departure of Harold and Valles, the line has underwhelmed.

Grade: D

Linebackers

Like the defensive line, the linebackers lost steady veterans in Henry Coley and Daquan Romero to graduation. Coley was the heart and soul of the team last season, recording eight sacks and 12.5 tackles for loss in a second-team All-ACC effort.

While Coley’s replacement — sophomore Micah Kiser — does not deliver the same thump as Coley, he might be a better all-around linebacker. Kiser is effective covering tight ends and running backs, and also has a knack for getting to the quarterback, leading the team with 4.5 sacks in addition to his seven tackles for loss.

But the rest of the group has struggled. Junior Zach Bradshaw cannot seem to wrap up the ball-carrier. Meanwhile, heralded freshman C.J. Stalker — a starter in training camp — has appeared in one game, recording a single tackle.

Kiser’s emergence makes the group average, but nothing more.

Grade: C

Secondary

The safety duo of Anthony Harris, now on Minnesota’s practice squad, and then-freshman Quin Blanding combined to form one of the top safety tandems in college football a year ago. The cornerbacks, meanwhile, were not spectacular, although now-senior Maurice Canady provided a physical presence in the slot.

But the secondary, like the defensive line, has been one of the most disappointing position groups of Virginia’s 2015 team. Laden with talented veterans, the unit ranks 110th nationally in passing defense, giving up 285.5 yards per game. To make matters worse, Virginia has yet to intercept a pass.

From blown assignments to lost man-coverage battles, neither the corners nor the safeties have fared well through four games. Allowing the 39-yard, game-winning touchdown reception with just 12 seconds remaining against Notre Dame only adds to the frustration.

As a unit with such proven veteran leaders, the secondary’s poor play has drawn the ire of the Cavalier faithful.

Grade: D

Overall Grade: D

Virginia ranks 110th in scoring defense, allowing 38.3 points per game, and comes in at 100th nationally in total defense at 445.3 yards per game.

And perhaps worst of all, Virginia’s minus-9 turnover margin is 125th in the country. Virginia and Wake Forest are the only teams yet to record a takeaway this season.

A regression from 2014’s all-around solid performance was expected, especially after losing five of its starting defensive front seven. But this year, the unit has been torched by two true-freshman quarterbacks in addition to allowing 145 rushing yards and 29 points against William & Mary. The Cavaliers cannot be pleased.

When Virginia opens conference play Oct. 10 at Pittsburgh, the defense needs to show improvement. If not, junior quarterback Matt Johns and the Virginia offense better be prepared to put up 40-plus points per week against ACC foes.