Diakite reclassifies to 2015, will redshirt upcoming season

<p>Diakite chose Virginia over Pac-12 programs USC and Washington. </p>

Diakite chose Virginia over Pac-12 programs USC and Washington.

Promising forward Mamadi Diakite is joining the Virginia men’s basketball team a year early, coach Tony Bennett announced Thursday. Diakite, who committed to the Cavaliers in early August as a member of the class of 2016, has reclassified to 2015 and will redshirt the upcoming season.

“We are excited and fortunate to add Mamadi to the Virginia basketball family this season,” Bennett said. “Mamadi is an athletic forward with a big upside. We look forward to his development during his career at U.Va.”

The No. 37 prospect in the class of 2016 per ESPN, Diakite played two seasons of high school basketball at Blue Ridge School in St. George, Va. after moving to the United States in January 2014. Originally from Conakry, Guinea, he averaged 12 points, eight rebounds and four blocks per game as a senior, when Blue Ridge compiled a 22-4 record and took home the Virginia Independent Schools Athletic Association Division II state title.

Following his redshirt season, the 6-foot-10-inch, 200-pound Diakite will join a frontcourt rotation also featuring Memphis transfer junior Austin Nichols and sophomore forward Isaiah Wilkins. That group will be tasked with replacing current seniors forward Anthony Gill and center Mike Tobey, who combined for 18.5 points and 11.6 rebounds per game in 2014-15.