Fralin holds 29th annual Writer's Eye competition

Museum increases prize money for university, adult level

<p>Over the last four years, participation in Writer’s Eye has grown significantly at approximately 15 percent annually, Hunt said. The contest is expected to receive around 1700 entries this year.</p>

Over the last four years, participation in Writer’s Eye has grown significantly at approximately 15 percent annually, Hunt said. The contest is expected to receive around 1700 entries this year.

The Fralin Museum of Art recently launched its 29th annual Writer’s Eye literary competition — an contest which asks writers to use the visual art of the Fralin as inspiration for their own original pieces of poetry and prose.

Exhibitions for the 2015 competition are “Jacob Lawrence: Struggle…From the History of the American People,” “Collection: Sol LeWitt and Photography,” “Cavaliers Collect”­ — a collection of pieces on loan from University alumni — and Cuban photographs from the museum’s own collection.

The event is divided into poetry and prose categories among four age groups for grades 3-5, 6-8 and 9-12 and university/adult writers.

Competition judges will be evaluating work with an extensive rubric, looking for both great writing and a deep connection with the artwork, Associate Academic Curator Aimee Hunt said.

“[The] writing is not supposed to be directly about the artwork,” Hunt said. “Art is used as a jumping off point for writers, as inspiration.”

Nikki Giovanni and Jasmin Darznik will serve as this year’s distinguished judges in charge of evaluating the 9-12 and university/adult submissions. Giovanni — an internationally known poet — will judge poetry entries.

“[Giovanni] brings a new level of prestige to the program, and we’re excited by the enthusiasm that her participation is generating on Grounds and across the academic community of central Virginia,” Hunt said.

A panel of 14 teachers and writing professionals from the area will anonymously judge the entries from grades 3-5 and 6-8. The museum has actively worked to increase the racial and ethnic diversity of judges on this year’s panel, Hunt said.

The competition has seen another key change this year with the increase in prize money for first, second and third places in the university/adult entries to encourage participation at this level. Contestants have the chance to earn $500, $250 and $100, respectively.

Over the last four years, participation in Writer’s Eye has grown significantly at approximately 15 percent annually, Hunt said. The contest is expected to receive around 1,700 entries this year.

The competition is accepting submissions until Nov. 20.

Correction: This article previously incorrectly stated that the “Cavaliers Collect” was a donation from alumni, rather than a loan and identified the collection incorrectly as "Cavaliers Connect." The previous version also incorrectly stated that there will be 12 judges on the contest panel.