Johns brings unique moxie to quarterback position

Virginia’s struggles at the quarterback position have been more than well-documented over coach Mike London’s soon-to-be six-year tenure. But at least the general perception is that these woes have not been caused by a lack of leadership from the Cavalier signal callers.

Two seasons ago during winter conditioning, a team of Navy SEALs identified then-sophomore quarterback David Watford as the team’s best leader. Then last season during the 2014 Orange-Blue spring game, it was announced that quarterback Greyson Lambert — only a sophomore — was voted team captain.

But a new season brings another rendition of quarterback roulette to Charlottesville. Both Watford and Lambert have since left the program, with the latter recently winning the starting job at SEC powerhouse Georgia.

Still, it’s not as if this year’s unquestioned starter, junior Matt Johns, doesn’t bring his own notable leadership style to the field.

“He’s a competitor — he’s a fighter,” senior wide receiver Caanan Severin said. “The kid’s from Philly — that’s everything you need to know about him.”

Johns is not a captain, but he might as well be. His teammates respect him just as much, if not more, than the four that will head out for the coin toss Saturday against UCLA.

As a humble former three-star prospect, Johns lacked the recruiting hype and the physical tools of those once ahead of him on the depth chart. He does not have Watford’s athleticism or speed. He lacks Lambert’s big arm and large stature.

But that mattered little when he entered last season’s opener, down 21-3, against the No. 7 Bruins just before halftime. After Lambert and co.’s three turnovers had led to three defensive touchdowns, all Johns did was complete his first collegiate attempt — a 32-yard strike to Severin — and then his second — a 29-yard touchdown pass to now-sophomore receiver Andre Levrone.

Johns eventually brought the Cavaliers to within four points following a touchdown toss to then-senior wide receiver Darius Jennings in the third quarter. Virginia lost the game, but Johns’ presence had been felt.

“That was the game where I grabbed him by his arm and said, ‘Are you ready for this?,’” London said. “And he grabbed me back and said, ‘I've been ready for this my whole life.’ It's kind of that — his moxie, whatever you want to call it, that really impressed me at that moment.”

Johns’ moxie is undeniable — he plays with a gunslinger mentality. He only completed 55 percent of his passes in limited action last season. And while he threw eight touchdowns, he also tossed five interceptions.

But those aren’t the plays Virginia fans remember. They recall comeback bids against not just UCLA, but also BYU three weeks later. They remember his 42-yard scamper in his first career start against Kent State. They yearn for another Saturday-night victory, like the one he orchestrated against Pittsburgh.

The players sense the hope, too. Johns, who won the starting job after spring practice, plays with a loose style — one that everyone in the program has bought into during training camp.

“[We’re] just playing with an open mind and having fun,” Johns said. “Sometimes you get away from that, but I think that’s important to harp on. Everyday we got to compete, but let’s have some fun. If we make a big play, let’s celebrate.”

The world certainly has come full-circle for Johns — he will take the first snap of Virginia’s 2015 season against who else but UCLA. However, the ugly question that must be asked is whether that optimism will last.

Each of London’s five previous seasons has been marred by quarterback drama. It was only last year that Lambert was yanked before halftime in the opener.

Barring some unforeseen collapse, Johns has no need to look over his shoulder. Neither of his backups even attempted a pass last season.

Still, it’s a fair to wonder whether Johns’ moxie can translate over into the win column. His accuracy still needs work, and his arm strength is nothing to marvel at. With a depleted wide receiver corps lacking senior T.J. Thorpe and sophomore Doni Dowling for at least the beginning of the season, Johns will face three top-25 teams in the first four weeks.

The Cavaliers are having fun now, but that swagger might be difficult to carry into ACC play if Johns struggles through the ambitious non-conference slate.

London and the rest of the program will continue to say all of the right things. And when Virginia trots out into the Rose Bowl Saturday, Johns and his beloved moxie will have a long leash to the first-team offense. His is the feel-good story that everyone in the program can support.

“Matt's been waiting for this moment, and this moment will be realized for him here [Saturday],” London said. “I got your back, Matt, don't you worry about that.”

Only time will tell if that will last.