“$ave Dat Money” music video showcases Lil Dicky's humor and creativity

Rapper makes a music video for lowest budget possible

We’ve all borrowed things from time to time, but Lil Dicky takes it to a whole new level in his “$ave Dat Money” music video by borrowing, well, everything! The video opens with him walking from house to house asking homeowners if he can film a music video in their mansions. From there, Lil Dicky continues his borrowing spree by taking a yacht, nightclub stage, McLaren sports car, ice cream truck and even a T-Pain video shoot for his own purposes.

Celebrity appearances fill the video as “Trap Queen” star Fetty Wap sings the chorus and Rich Homie Quan drops a verse. Lil Dicky cuts this short because “a full verse would have been too expensive anyways.” Superstars from all across entertainment industry make brief appearances while repeating the main line of the chorus, “We gon save dat money.” Cameos include Sarah Silverman, Kevin Durant, Tom Petty and Mark Cuban.

What is a nice surprise for those who might not know Lil Dicky is that the rapper’s creativity in producing such a clever video is matched by his catchy and appealing flow. His name might make new listeners think he is not a very serious rapper, and this may be true in the sense of his rhymes being funny. But while viewers might initially watch only for the video, Lil Dicky is talented enough to make them stay for and thoroughly enjoy listening to the full five minutes of music.

The “$ave Dat Money” music video provides humorous commentary on the extravagance of hip-hop culture by a rapper who is quite possibly on the brink of reaching stardom within that very culture. Make no mistake, Lil Dicky is for real, and this unassuming figure continually proves that he can rap with the best of them.