Moral victories mean little, but Virginia shouldn’t despair

With the exception of the 2013 two-win season, coach Mike London’s team always seems to find a signature win — one that shocks both the national pundits and those back home in Charlottesville.

In 2010, the Cavaliers knocked off a ranked Miami squad. In 2011, it was Georgia Tech. Tight end Jake McGee’s late-game heroics gave the Cavaliers another surprise victory over the Hurricanes in 2012. Then, last season, Virginia’s dynamic pass rush took down Louisville.

The Cavaliers had a chance to shock the world Saturday, squaring off against a ninth-ranked Notre Dame squad — a team that completely dismantled Texas to the tune of 38-3 a week ago.

Virginia scored the go-ahead touchdown on a one-yard run by junior running back Albert Reid to cap a 13-play, 80-yard drive. With 1:54 remaining, Virginia led 27-26 against the ninth-ranked team in the country.

A sold-out Scott Stadium crowd of 58,200 was roaring. The sideline was jumping. On an evening where hoards of other Virginia athletic squads were honored for their excellence, the Cavalier football team was less than two minutes from giving reason to celebrate its own performance.

“[We were] excited,” senior receiver Canaan Severin said. “We just punched them in the mouth.”

But Notre Dame — without junior starting quarterback Malik Zaire, who was lost for the season with a fractured ankle — went 80 yards in just 1:42. Junior wide receiver Will Fuller, a Sports Illustrated honorable mention All-American last season, beat senior cornerback Maurice Canady deep for a 39-yard touchdown.

Scott Stadium, with fans lining up to rush the field, was silenced in disbelief. Virginia fell to 0-2. Notre Dame improved to 2-0.

“What a tough way to lose a football game,” London said.

Virginia players, unsurprisingly, weren’t satisfied.

“I hate the phrase moral victory at this point,” senior guard Ross Burbank said. “There’s nothing for us there. That’s not what we play for.”

But Cavalier fans should not take lightly the near upset of a top-10 opponent. Virginia, both fans and players alike, cannot exit Scott Stadium in too much despair.

The Cavaliers were beat up early, falling behind 12-0 after the first quarter. Notre Dame ran at will through the Virginia defense for 253 yards on the ground at a whopping 7.4 yards per carry.

Still, the Cavaliers stayed competitive. The Irish went 0-10 on third downs during the afternoon. Zaire, who passed for 313 yards against Texas, was held to 115 yards through the air.

Meanwhile, the offense showed the grit and poise that it has lacked throughout the Steve Fairchild-era.

Junior quarterback Matt Johns moved the ball up and down the field, completing 26-38 passes for two touchdowns. He converted in the red zone, tossing a two-yard touchdown to freshman tight end Evan Butts on third and goal and running for a four-yard score in the fourth quarter. He also showcased his often-questioned arm-strength on a 42-yard touchdown to junior receiver Keeon Johnson.

“It was nice to see Matt really let it go,” Burbank said. “Matt’s a great player. As long as we protect him and give him time, he’s gonna make plays.”

A number of Virginia player made career-best performances. Sophomore linebacker Micah Kiser recorded 1.5 sacks. Severin caught 11 balls for 153 yards. Freshman wide receiver Olamide Zaccheaus nearly broke an end-around for a long touchdown. Redshirt junior receiver Ryan Santoro pulled in a 34-yard reception on third-and-15, setting up Reid’s go-ahead one-yard touchdown.

By no means did the Cavaliers play a perfect game. London’s decision to decline a delay of game penalty in the fourth quarter led to an Irish touchdown on a fake field goal. The run defense allowed Notre Dame senior running back C.J. Prosise to churn out 155 yards, eclipsing 100 yards on just his ninth attempt.

But Virginia still held a one-point lead until the final seconds — until Fuller used a double move to beat Canady. Sophomore quarterback DeShone Kizer, under duress, could not have delivered a more perfect pass.

“That wasn’t a broken play,” sophomore safety Quin Blanding said. “It was just a great play.”

Even with Virginia’s brutal opening schedule, moral victories mean little. But the Cavaliers, after nearly shocking the college football world, shouldn’t hang their heads too low after Saturday.

It’s back to work Sunday.