Top 10 crafty ways to save money at U.Va.

1. Stock up on produce from the dining halls:

As a first year, I’d go to O’Hill in hopes of grabbing a healthy breakfast and would be consistently disappointed with the lack of bananas. Can’t a girl just get some potassium in her life? Now, I realize this deficit was the work of some crafty upperclassmen who utilized dining halls as their primary source of fresh produce. I’m not suggesting you take everything — please, save some for the rest of us — but it’s a cost-saving move to grab a few apples and bananas for some healthy snacks on the go.

2. Stop by Costco

Under the impression one could saunter into Costco without membership and request a free “day pass” to shop to her heart’s content for one day only, my friend and I made the journey past Stonefield last weekend. We were misguided, as it turns out. The nice woman at the entrance to the store told us we could look around but not buy anything. An hour later, my friend and I left full of free samples — between the steak, the pie, the grapes, and the tortellini, Costco had provided us with a meal’s worth of free food. Don’t miss it.

3. Check for student discounts

Here’s a little known but very useful fact: even if they don’t explicitly list it, many stores offer student discounts. It never hurts to ask. Stores that come to mind are J.Crew, Topshop (can you tell I have an online shopping problem?), Qdoba (hello, late night), Amazon, Spotify and Amtrak, just to name a few. With a pointed Google search you can find many more.

4. Know your deals

These deals are more Charlottesville-oriented, but that’s the beauty of living in a college town. Businesses know a college budget isn’t a large one, and often offer incentives in the form of reduced prices for you to spend at their establishments. Happy hours span the Corner, Take it Away gives away bread ends for mere dollars (it’s worth it to grab the house dressing too) and there’s $5 Arches on Tuesdays. Being frugal doesn’t necessarily mean you have to give up eating at your favorite places!

5. Become a member

Transitioning into an apartment my second year, I was enamored by the full-size kitchen I had at my disposal to prepare meals. Pizza for breakfast? Why not! Pancakes for dinner? No parents, no rules! But, with great power comes great responsibility. The grocery store became my sworn enemy — it was hard to buy healthy and cheap for only one person. Who can go through an entire bag of spinach before it goes bad anyway? Sure, it was easier to buy the pre-cut produce, but that meant higher prices. To ease some of this, I invested in a decent knife and also became a member at grocery stores like Kroger and Harris Teeter. Membership is free, and you have access to tons of discounts that makes shopping for one (on a budget) so much easier. Bonus: the Kroger card gives you discounts on gas, too.

6. Walk more, drive less:

Speaking of gas…coming from New York, I’m accustomed to gas prices being, on average, about a dollar more per gallon than they are here. The first thing I do when I drive into Charlottesville is loudly exclaim to whoever is sitting next to me (or to myself) how low gas prices are here. But, regardless of price, it adds up quickly, and there are easy ways to get around wasting that precious commodity. Utilize the bus systems to get downtown and to Barracks, or utilize the great strength that is your own set of legs and walk as much as you can. With this heat, walking may come at an emotional cost, but at least you won’t be spending any real dollars.

7. Don’t bring your wallet out:

If you’re going to go out to drink at bars, don’t bring your wallet. While I don’t condone binge drinking or underage drinking at all, it is a lot more cost effective (and safe!) to drink your own alcohol before entering a bar. You know exactly how much alcohol is in your drink, and no other substances could have made their way into your cup. A drink at a bar is both expensive and risky, so don’t even give yourself the option to spend any money on one. Plus, you’ll save money by not indulging in late night food either.

8. Stay home

Host a potluck brunch or dinner with friends — have everyone cook a separate dish to share. Good times, good food, good fun — what more could you ask for? Plus, because you’re not at a restaurant, you have full license to forgo any social cues and be as weird as you want. Feel like standing up and taking off your pants halfway through dessert? Be my guest! Well, maybe not my guest…

9. Buy online

Buying online is great for a couple of reasons. Firstly, there are always discounts you can find to avoid paying full price. Secondly, there are many more options to buy in bulk, so you can get more product for less money. Third, you have the luxury of being able to compare prices for products across many different sites, whereas if you’re standing in a storefront you’re stuck with the price that specific store is offering.

10. Do some research

Did you know there are fun, free events in Charlottesville happening almost every day? For example, Carter’s Mountain Sunset Series, Fridays after Five on the Downtown Mall and Final Fridays at the Fralin are all free of charge. What I’m saying is almost everywhere has free food and free culture that is definitely much better than your roommate singing while the two of you share a candy bar you got because EMPSU rocks. Use google and you’ll be fed, cultured, and interact with people that don’t actually attend this great University. You’ll be surprised how much fun you can have.