ADAPT promotes safe Halloween celebration

OneLess, Chi Psi partner to promote bystander intervention

<p>ADAPT, in combination with other University organizations,&nbsp;will put on alternative celebratory events, safety reminders, free giveaways and a Halloween safety pledge students can sign, committing themselves to being active bystanders and taking extra care to look out for their friends this holiday season.</p>

ADAPT, in combination with other University organizations, will put on alternative celebratory events, safety reminders, free giveaways and a Halloween safety pledge students can sign, committing themselves to being active bystanders and taking extra care to look out for their friends this holiday season.

The Alcohol and Drug Abuse Prevention Team is holding their third annual Safe Halloween Week to combat excessive drinking on Halloween weekend.

This year, ADAPT is hosting Safe Halloween Week in partnership with Chi Psi Fraternity and sexual assault education group One Less.

ADAPT Co-Chair Brittany Heck said the week long effort aims to reduce unsafe drinking during the holiday.

“Because Halloween can be a time of excessive celebration in terms of drinking, we try to combat the overindulgence in alcoholic products,” Heck said.

During the week, students from the various groups will be on Grounds distributing cups, phone pockets and information sheets which include safety tips for students in an alcohol related situations, and include the phone numbers for Safe Ride and Charge-a-Ride.

ADAPT will also distribute fanny packs in memory of late organization co-chair and fourth-year College student Margaret Lowe. The group hopes to emulate how Lowe always carried a fanny pack stocked with water and food when she went out in case she came across someone who needed assistance.

The week focuses on bystander intervention — offering students the ability to pledge to be an active bystander — as well as education for first-year students, Heck, a fourth-year College student, said

“This week is very focused on active bystander intervention, such as PUBS, so students know what to do if one of their friends is unresponsive or passed out,” Heck said. “We just want to educate first-years, especially, on how to take care of their friends and drink safely.”

ADAPT’s focus is not to prevent drinking on Halloween, Heck said, but rather to help create a safe and enjoyable experience.

“We totally want you to have fun, whatever that means to you,” Heck said. “We provide sober activities that you can do throughout the weekend, and actions you can take to make sure you drink in a safe measure and actions you can take to help someone who doesn’t drink in safe manner.”

Sober activities sponsored by Safe Halloween Week include the Liberty Mills Farm Corn Maze, trips to Carter's Mountain Orchard, Trick-or-Treating on the Lawn and the Charlottesville Ghost Tours.