A chat among Family and Friends

Georgian sextet to open for the Oh Hellos in early November

Family and Friends, a seven-person folk-rock outfit from Athens, Ga. that suggests its audiences start dancing and never stop, will take the stage at the Jefferson Nov. 3 in support of the Oh Hellos. Arts & Entertainment got the chance to chat with five of the members to hear about their music and lives in such a unique band.

Arts & Entertainment: How would you describe your new EP, “XOXO,” to someone who has never listened to you all before?

Mike MacDonald: Having six-plus members, stylistically we all come from different musical backgrounds and each bring a little something different to the table. At the heart of what we do there’s a folk rock element, but there’s a conscious effort to attempt to expand on that. The EP itself deals with the theme of nostalgia and takes listeners on a journey exploring that fine line involving the bittersweet recollection of a memory. Musically speaking, the dueling drummers provide syncopated energy amidst dynamic strings, collective harmonies, group chants, stomps, claps and an all-around emphasis on good times.

A&E: Talk about the dynamics of a seven-person band. What is the songwriting process like? Are there ever any contentious moments?

JP McKenzie: Being in a [seven-person] band is one of the most rewarding and fun things I could imagine, especially with the people in this band. It is like being assigned a group project with all of the smartest kids in the class. The songwriting process generally begins with Mike bringing the skeleton of a song to the band and we just take it piece by piece adding our own instruments and changing the dynamics as we go. The actual writing of the song is very much a conversation amongst the band, and some songs will have a completely different feel and emotion when we finish with it. We really try our best to hear every idea out as we go so that there is no contentious moments; however, sometimes Ryan wants me to make a whip sound with my guitar in a chorus, and sometimes that just is not going to work.

A&E: Is the band name “Family and Friends” supposed to describe your group dynamic, or where does the name come from?

Ryan Houchens: It is supposed to describe our dynamic. We set off with the initial goals for this band to break down that barrier between artists and fans. We'd much rather see what we do in this band and outside to work towards a greater goal of uniting people within our communities rather than to be championed upon a stage. The name is a derivative of that idea.

A&E: Who are some of your musical influences?

Alejandro Rios: Each of us listens to a different wide range of music which is great because I think it helps us draw inspiration from everywhere and listen to ourselves with a unique ear which really comes out in the songs. Personally my favorite band is Modest Mouse, but I’ve also been listening to a lot of Rubblebucket, Lord Huron, Typhoon, The Oh Hellos and a lot of funk music. Gotta have that funk!

JM: Right now I have been listening to a lot of Alt-J, but my musical influences range from ambient/post rock artists like Explosions in the Sky and Lowercase Noises to Brand New and Foxing. Two albums that I can always come back to and feel at home are Ben Howard’s “I Forget Where We Were” and The Republic of Wolves release “Varuna.” Manchester Orchestra and Into It. Over It. are amazing too. Music is just good. I love listening to new music, but I also love nostalgia so you might find me listening to mid-2000s pop punk a lot too.

A&E: If you all decided that Family and Friends was now going to be a cover band for one artist, who would you chose and why?

David “Tuna” Fortuna: We have actually already talked about this. We would cover Weezer. Specifically “Say it Ain’t So”. Really we would just play “Say it Ain’t So” for however long the set was. I think it has more potential as an idea that Family and Friends does as a band. I honestly don’t know why we haven’t dropped everything and started pursuing our real dreams …

A&E: What makes a Family and Friends concert special?

AR: To me what really makes a Family And Friends concert special is all the positive energy that we try to exuberate throughout the show. I think we all try to live each day with positive energy in us, but when it’s time to play a show I think we dig deep and step it up a notch. It’s just really great to be able to share our love feelings with people, and it’s even better when it’s reciprocated.

JM: I think what makes a Family And Friends concert special is the interaction between us and the crowd. We really try to make it as interactive as possible. Music has always been a wonderful way to bring people together, and one of the main reasons we pursue music is to connect with others. So aside from the pyrotechnics and acrobatics …

A&E: What are your dreams for your future?

JM: Touring is the most fun thing in the world, especially when it is with The Oh Hellos and Cereus Bright. There is nothing more fulfilling than waking up laughing at a joke someone has made, driving through beautiful scenery, playing music with people you love and then going to bed tired and happy. I also love writing and recording music.

I have always had dreams of having a beautiful family and a house with a recording studio in it. I also would love to own a coffee shop or a cafe/ brunch place someday. I feel that coffee, like music, does a wonderful job of bringing people together. But whatever the future holds, I never want to stop creating and pursuing a life on the road with Family and Friends.