The Kylie Kraze

‘Keeping Up With the Kardashians’ star launches new app

Kylie Jenner, the youngest member of the Kardashian/Jenner clan, recently made her debut in the App Store with the release of her personal app “KYLIE.” Following in the entrepreneurial steps of the rest of her family, Jenner has created an app which subscribers can use to catch up on all aspects of the young celebrity’s life. For $2.99 a month, subscribers can purchase access to a series of videos, pictures and blog posts featuring Kylie and her friends navigating their lavish everyday lives.

The content of the app is divided into four sections: glam, looks, “lyfe,” and “Kylie music.” While the app makes an attempt at organization, the layout of it as a whole is poor. When opening the app, users are barraged with posts that have no coherent organization or general theme. Although a menu tab exists to access specific sections of the app, users are again bombarded with irrelevant posts from other sections, making the experience overwhelming.

Jenner accompanies each post with a blurb describing the image or video’s significance in her everyday life, but the content of most posts is vague and portrays her in a shallow light. For example, one post in the “lyfe” section displays a post titled “Nineteen Things to Do Before Nineteen.” The first goal added to Jenner’s bucket list is completing the swimming pool renovations on her multi-million dollar home. While the the app ultimately connects Jenner and her fans, posts such as these do the app a disservice as they are hardly relatable.

Similar to the “lyfe” section, the “looks” and “glam” sections further Jenner’s self-absorption through a series of overdone images and videos that serve as how-to guides on achieving the Kylie Jenner look. This portion of the app, which Jenner has titled “Help My Face is F*cked,” includes lessons from Jenner and an eccentric platinum blonde makeup artist, Gigi Gorgeous. While Jenner’s ultimate goal may have been to provide viewers with genuine advice, the title of her videos creates a condescending tone that is more of a turn-off to users.

To further the overall Kylie experience, the “Keeping Up With the Kardashians” star added a playlist to the app full of Jenner-approved jams. However, this section is disappointing as it only provides users with rap music to listen to while perusing the app.

Despite the app’s attempt to establish a stronger connection between Jenner and her fans, the egotistical posts and content make the it less than appealing. Unless subscribers have a complete adoration for Jenner, this app will be far from enthralling.