The Skinny: Women's soccer matches up with No. 5 Clemson Thursday night

<p>Junior goalkeeper Morgan Stearns and the Virginia defense are conceding just .578 goals per game thus far this season. </p>

Junior goalkeeper Morgan Stearns and the Virginia defense are conceding just .578 goals per game thus far this season. 

What: Virginia (8-1-1, 2-1-0 ACC) vs. Clemson (9-1-1, 3-1-0 ACC)

Where: Clemson, S.C. (Historic Riggs Field)

When: Thursday, 7 p.m.

The Skinny: Now that the system of rainstorms that spun through the Southeast in recent days has finally cleared out, the Virginia women’s soccer team can compete again. Their Oct. 2 meeting with NC State canceled due to the inclement weather, the No. 3 Cavaliers haven’t played since a 1-0 win over Duke Sept. 27. A long layoff is something Virginia hasn’t had to worry a lot about until now. Ten days of rest is a double-edged sabre. It can be a recharger or a cause for coming out flat, which the Cavaliers certainly can’t afford Thursday night against No. 5 Clemson.

The Tigers are for real. They’ve knocked off No. 8 South Carolina 2-1 and No. 5 Notre Dame 1-0 in double overtime a week before the Irish painfully handed Virginia its first loss. In its most recent rain-soaked match Oct. 2, Clemson blanked Wake Forest 2-0 at home, where the team boasts a record of 5-0-1. A stout Tiger defense, which tallied its fifth shutout against the Demon Deacons, has allowed an average of .695 goals per game this season, which falls close to the Cavalier mark of .578. Both back lines get the job done.

The Tigers have netted a total of 20 goals so far for a 1.82 per-game average. That statistic isn’t weak by any stretch, but it does put pressure on the team’s defense. With four goals to her name, junior midfielder/forward Catrina Atanda, a member of the All-ACC Second Team in 2014, is a legitimate attacking threat for Clemson. But the Cavaliers — with their No. 2 scoring offense, 3.30 goals per game, and depth, seven players with three or more goals — have the edge offensively. Nevertheless, Thursday night will be another tough test for Virginia. For those fans who remain in Charlottesville, the match will be broadcast live on ESPN3.