"Youth of Color Matter" conference held at U.Va. Curry School

Center at education school focuses on effective youth development

<p>The Curry School conference was the first time Youth-Nex — the University center for the promotion for effective youth development — has held a conference focusing on youths of color, specifically African American, Native American and Latino youth.</p>

The Curry School conference was the first time Youth-Nex — the University center for the promotion for effective youth development — has held a conference focusing on youths of color, specifically African American, Native American and Latino youth.

The University hosted the fifth annual Youth-Nex Conference, called "Youth of Color Matter: Reducing Inequalities through Positive Youth Development.”

Held at the Curry School last week, the program brought together community leaders to discuss and highlight youth of color as thriving contributors to their communities.

This is the first time Youth-Nex, the University center for the promotion of effective youth development, has held a conference focusing on youths of color, specifically African American, Native American and Latino youth.

By focusing on these groups, attendees were able to direct conversations about positive development that have not been discussed in depth, conference chair Joanna Williams said.

“The positive youth development perspective really pushes back against the idea that teenagers are sort of just problems that we need to manage and really focuses on the idea that all youth have the capacity to thrive," Williams said.

Youth participants were able to speak during the conference. Williams, a leadership, foundations and policy associate professor at the Curry school, said it was important to incorporate youths' perspectives as they often have limited expressive opportunities.

“Kids who feel a strong connection to their ethnic and cultural heritage oftentimes do much better in areas [like] stress management, academic achievement and other aspects of health,” Williams said.

Keynote speaker Leon Andrews made remarks addressing positive youth development, specifically black male achievement.

The director for race, equity and leadership for the National League of Cities, Andrews discussed current efforts in cities across the country to reduce violent deaths of black men and boys.

Asked about the conference’s biggest takeaway, Andrews noted the importance of being explicit.

"A critical takeaway from all the work we do is that it’s important not to just use code words," he said. “It’s important to rethink from a positive youth development perspective, their voice, as we talk about equity and their education and the role of government and governance."