British Ambassador Sir Peter Westmacott speaks at U.Va.

Diplomat addresses transcontinental relationship

<p>Sir Peter Westmacott (above) spoke at a public event at Hotel C, put on by the University Center for Politics and International Residential College. He covered a swath of topics, including economic policies and counterterrorism efforts.</p>

Sir Peter Westmacott (above) spoke at a public event at Hotel C, put on by the University Center for Politics and International Residential College. He covered a swath of topics, including economic policies and counterterrorism efforts.

The University hosted the United Kingdom ambassador to the U.S. Sir Peter Westmacott on Friday as a part of the ongoing Center for Politics’ Ambassador Series.

Westmacott spoke at a public event at Hotel C, hosted jointly by the University Center for Politics and International Residential College. He covered a wide range of topics, including economic policies and counterterrorism efforts.

Westmacott said the relationship between the U.S. and U.K. is a special one, characterized by mutual cooperation.

“There’s nothing closer than the U.S. and U.K. relationship,” Westmacott said.

Westmacott said the two countries are among the strongest-growing economically, and that the U.K. has spent time focusing on getting public spending under control. While discussing foreign affairs, he commended the multilateral Iran agreement in which both countries played a part.

However, he said the countries could do more to fight climate change, and the upcoming UN summit on climate change in Paris will help illuminate new approaches.

Second-year College student Attiya Latif said she attended the lecture because it’s the responsibility of students to learn about what’s happening outside of the University.

“As students, it’s really important to look outside of the bubble of U.Va. and as we look outside we can see how we want to change the world,” Latif said.

The lecture was also a great opportunity to meet someone who has such a large hand in global issues, second-year College student Magdalene Beck said.

“To meet someone who has a voice [in the] current global conversation … [was] amazing,” Beck said. “I appreciate the rational optimism that goes into calculating every decision — the subtlety and complexity behind every decision.”

Hailey Ross contributed to reporting.