U.Va. Women's Center hosts Domestic Violence Awareness month

Campaign includes survivor panels, awareness initiatives

<p>The Women’s Center began hosting October events of raise awareness for domestic violence about 15 years ago. Over the years, there has been an expansion in activities and student participation as awareness has grown.</p>

The Women’s Center began hosting October events of raise awareness for domestic violence about 15 years ago. Over the years, there has been an expansion in activities and student participation as awareness has grown.

October marks the beginning of Domestic Violence Awareness month, and the Women’s Center’s will hold a range of programs to promote awareness.

The center will be hosting a series of events ranging from survivor panels to awareness campaigns throughout the month.

The Women’s Center began programming events to raise awareness for domestic violence about 15 years ago. Over the years, there has been an expansion in activities and student participation as awareness has increased.

Charlotte Chapman, director of Counseling Services at the Women’s Center and chair of Programs, said there has also been an increased participation from other partners at the University with the month of awareness.

Many of the undertakings are collaborations, including the Red Flag Campaign with Alpha Chi Omega. The campaign, one of the major events hosted by the Women’s Center, is a national effort to address warning signs — red flags — in relationships and promote bystander intervention.

Other groups that the Women’s Center is partnering with include Sigma Psi Zeta and the One Love Foundation, each of which have their own domestic violence awareness programs in conjunction with the Center.

Sigma Psi Zeta, a multicultural sorority, mainly aids with the Clothesline Project and tabling for the Red Flag Campaign.

Third-year College student Joy Wang, liaison between the Women’s Center and SYZ, said she hopes the project will advance the aims of the awareness push.

“We hope this event will be help foster dialogue and awareness of what a healthy relationship looks like,” she said.