Virginia women take 12th at Landfall Tradition

<p>Senior Lauren Coughlin finished eighth individually in the Cavaliers' final tournament of the fall season, but Virginia produced a season-worst 26-over 890 as a team.&nbsp;</p>

Senior Lauren Coughlin finished eighth individually in the Cavaliers' final tournament of the fall season, but Virginia produced a season-worst 26-over 890 as a team. 

Virginia women’s golf wrapped up its fall season on a low note Sunday, recording a season-worst 12th-place finish at the Landfall Tradition in Wilmington, N.C.

Despite recording an aggregate 2-under 286 in Sunday’s final round, the Landfall marked the team’s season-worst in aggregate scoring as well, as the Cavaliers finished at a total 26-over 890, a full 35 strokes off pace from first-place Duke.

Senior Lauren Coughlin led the way individually for Virginia, her 5-under 67 round Sunday good enough to put her at eighth overall with a weekend score of 2-under 214, just three strokes behind winner sophomore Sarah Burnham of Michigan State. It was Coughlin’s second top-10 finish of the season. Coughlin’s fellow senior Elizabeth Szokol finished 24th overall with a score of 4-over 220.

The team’s melancholy performance also marked the second straight tournament at which Virginia failed to finish in the top five as a team, disappointing in a season which started with third and fourth-place finishes in its first two tournaments.

The Cavaliers, ranked 14th nationally coming into the weekend, now hold the No. 17 spot in Golfweek’s latest poll and must wait until the spring season kicks off in mid-February for their next competitive team rounds.